Wirelss PCI-E Card

wixostrix

I have a wireless-g card in my computer now and it is taking up my last pci card. im gonna need that slot when i buy a second tv tuner. i have an availible pci-e slot so i was wondering if there were any wireless cards with a pci-e interface?

Jet

VIP Member
I have a wireless-g card in my computer now and it is taking up my last pci card. im gonna need that slot when i buy a second tv tuner. i have an availible pci-e slot so i was wondering if there were any wireless cards with a pci-e interface?

Is it an x1 or an x4 slot?

The_Other_One

VIP Member

I'm quite sure all the PCI-X connections are interchangeable. Besides, I couldn't imagine a wifi card being beyond 1x...

As for the question, As much as I hate to admit it, you'd almost be better off just getting a USB card. PCI-X cards(besides video cards) are pretty hard to come by, and probably not as "proven" as the original PCI or USB... Newegg probably has some....or maybe not :eek:

wixostrix

its a pci-e x1

I'm quite sure all the PCI-X connections are interchangeable. Besides, I couldn't imagine a wifi card being beyond 1x...

As for the question, As much as I hate to admit it, you'd almost be better off just getting a USB card. PCI-X cards(besides video cards) are pretty hard to come by, and probably not as "proven" as the original PCI or USB... Newegg probably has some....or maybe not :eek:

yea the only thing i've found for pci-e x1 was the firewire card i got. thanks

Jet

VIP Member
I wish they still used more PCI slots.. I always am running into the issue of not having enough of them, and those PCIe 1x slots just sit there...

Bobo

banned
Why not just get a PCI-E x1 TV tuner? I know those exist, I was considering getting one not too long ago.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
No offense, but I'm quite sure you could find a better capture card for less than an ATI card. Do ATI cards even offer real-time hardware(not software like most cards) MPEG2 compression?

But back to the topic, I still think you'd be better off to just get a USB wifi adapter. It'd be cheaper than a new capture card or PCI-X wifi, and they aren't all that bad. I used one on my previous laptop for a while and I had no real complaints. Reception was better than my current laptop's card :p

wixostrix

No offense, but I'm quite sure you could find a better capture card for less than an ATI card. Do ATI cards even offer real-time hardware(not software like most cards) MPEG2 compression?

non taking, i just dont know these other cards, and at the time i was building my computer, i just knew ati and i knew they worked well cause i've used em before. what is "real-time hardware"?