WLAN problem

psaila

Hi. I have cable internet connected to a wireless router at home. I replaced the router antenna and bought another one however it does not make so much difference and I still cannot connect from all the rooms. I also tried to buy a 9m wire and put the antenna in a more central place but without success. Can you suggest anything please? Should I phone the cable company and have them move the modem to a more central place? Is there an alternative?

Aastii

VIP Member
Hi. I have cable internet connected to a wireless router at home. I replaced the router antenna and bought another one however it does not make so much difference and I still cannot connect from all the rooms. I also tried to buy a 9m wire and put the antenna in a more central place but without success. Can you suggest anything please? Should I phone the cable company and have them move the modem to a more central place? Is there an alternative?

If the range is not good enough, you have 3 options:

1. First, I would contact your ISP and tell them about your problem. They should try to resolve it by sending you a different router.

If they do not, you have 2 options:

1. Buy your own router, however make sure it is rangemax. These have a greater range than standard routers do, so hopefully will solve your problem.

2. Buy a range extender, also sometimes known as a n access point or expander. This is another router that you can put in a more centralised location in your house, and it will act as a middle man for your connection, doing, as the name suggests, extending the range. Think of it as a bridge, with your devices that aren't getting signal at one end, and your router at the other

DanyD

I also agree on Aastii's suggestion. If there is anything wrong, its always the ISP that you should call first becasue sometimes configuring the settings of your connection could lead to a much worse problem.

DanyD

So how is your problem psaila? Did you managed to contact your ISP? Usually it takes several days for them to get to you depending on how busy your ISP are. But once they came over to your house and fixed it, mostly they get the job done.