Motherboard
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

Graphics Card
Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 1GB

Memory
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 8GB

650w psu corsair

-----------------------------------------------------------
One day after updating the bios i was going to bead and shutting down my rig and then the screen just go black? i can hear the hdd spin down but the fans are still going hard.

This hapens every time i shut down the computer, restart works fine.
What i have tryed: reinstalling, linux ubuntu works. but not windows.
It seems like it hapens after installing sp1?
Also tryed safe boot, another hdd. taking out the ram. gpu++

Can you guys help me?
Kind regards.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Any particular reason why you updated the bios? Normally, you don't do this unless it fixes an issue you are currently having with the system. There are many times bios updates go bad. Then you say you did windows updates, did you do any driver updates?

wtf1337

Any particular reason why you updated the bios? Normally, you don't do this unless it fixes an issue you are currently having with the system. There are many times bios updates go bad. Then you say you did windows updates, did you do any driver updates?

I did this because there was a performance and some other fix's.

No i did not update any drivers as i know.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do a system restore back to a day when it was shutting down fine. If it shuts down fine, then it was windows update causing the issue. You will have to install updates one at a time until you figure out which one is causing it.

Jamebonds1

Like John say. Do restore back and do install update one at a time.

As my expreince, NEVER installing any driver by using windows update. It could cause issued. Recommend download driver from ATI and ASUS. I can provide link if you like.

Jamebonds1

Maybe I was wrong but it looks like you have registry damages. If you know how it work, use regedit command. If not, use program cleaner but it is not free. It would be better if someone else who has experience with program clean recommend you something. Possible cause by downloading from windows update for driver.

After used that cleaner program, it should solve problem.

Please correct me John me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

DCIScouts

VIP Member
As my expreince, NEVER installing any driver by using windows update. It could cause issued. Recommend download driver from ATI and ASUS. I can provide link if you like.

DEFINITELY, always go directly to the manufacturer when installing drivers. The drivers that Windows Update installs is made by Microsoft a lot of the time, and I've seen some major issues when installing those over the proprietary ones, even if the manufacturer's one is several years old and the MS one is brand new.

FuryRosewood

On a clean install installing the WHQL certified driver from windows is fine, but if your installing a driver over a driver...with the MS one being installed over the vendor specific one, well thats just going to end up with headaches.