Woohoo!

So, we're finally moving out of the 90s and getting cable internet. I just have one question, my bedroom is upstairs, and the modem is going to be downstairs, would it be best to run a cable upstairs or get a wireless router, which leads to the second half of my question how much will be affected by using a router, there is a lot of wallspace between my room and the place where the router would be. and if I run a cable, how long can a cable be?

Vizy

So, we're finally moving out of the 90s and getting cable internet. I just have one question, my bedroom is upstairs, and the modem is going to be downstairs, would it be best to run a cable upstairs or get a wireless router, which leads to the second half of my question how much will be affected by using a router, there is a lot of wallspace between my room and the place where the router would be. and if I run a cable, how long can a cable be?

The wireless shouldn't be that bad. But before we had wifi, we had to run a CAT 5 cable, it was like 40 ft. in lenght or something. We bought it at frys electronics.

Dropkickmurphys

how far is the distance between your PC and where the modem will be? most probably wireless should be good enough. it will depend on the quality of your Wireless Router and Adaptor, you really get what you pay for here.

an Ethernet (Cat5 / Cat5e) will extend for as long as you should need it, unless ofc you have a HUGE house or something... lol..

Calibretto

VIP Member
Using a wired connection is more reliable than a wireless connection (for me at least) but wireless is way more nicer because you don't have cables running all over your house. As long as you get a really good wireless router, you should be fine.