Workstation question?

Sacrinyellow5

My work just bought me a new Dell Precision 380 workstation.

Here are the specs – Pentium D (3 Ghz)
2 GB Ram
Navidia Quadro Fx 3450/4000 SDI – Graphics card
80 GB HD

I’m wondering if there is a large difference between a workstation setup and a personal computer. Before I was working on a Pentium 4 (2.4 Ghz) with 1 GB ram and it was a personal computer. It seems like that computer performed just as good as the one I’m working on now. The computer I’m using now is a lot better when dealing with multiple applications and email being loaded up, but I don’t see a vast difference. Is that because one is a workstation and the other is a personal computer?

fade2green514

workstations are used for different things. more ram and a dual core is definitely better for it... and normally less hard drive space.
as for daily use... a p4 2.4 and a pentium d 3ghz wont perform a ton different... the clicking speed and the amount of time it takes to open something. that depends more on ram speed and well, hard drive speed. if you had two 10,000rpm hard drives in raid 0 then you'd notice an enourmous difference... no matter if you have a celeron d 2.53ghz or a Pentium 4 at 3.8ghz.
granted, some things may open quicker with a faster processor... but normal apps for everyday use depend more on hard drive speed.
try encoding/converting with the workstation, it'll probably take less than half the time... plus 2gb is definitely a lot better than 512mb or even 1gb. that beast wont run out of memory for quite some time.

sezerb

Your new machine has a dual core processor. It won't perform individual tasks any faster but you will be able to run several tasks at once without lag

Sacrinyellow5

fade2green514 said:
workstations are used for different things. more ram and a dual core is definitely better for it... and normally less hard drive space.
as for daily use... a p4 2.4 and a pentium d 3ghz wont perform a ton different... the clicking speed and the amount of time it takes to open something. that depends more on ram speed and well, hard drive speed. if you had two 10,000rpm hard drives in raid 0 then you'd notice an enourmous difference... no matter if you have a celeron d 2.53ghz or a Pentium 4 at 3.8ghz.
granted, some things may open quicker with a faster processor... but normal apps for everyday use depend more on hard drive speed.
try encoding/converting with the workstation, it'll probably take less than half the time... plus 2gb is definitely a lot better than 512mb or even 1gb. that beast wont run out of memory for quite some time.

Is there a free program, which would give me loading time for appications and misc info like that. My company wants to by 5 more of these workstations, but they need some numbers for compairing.