Worth upgrading?

TimGodsil

New Member
My current computer is a Intel D865GLC mobo with a socket 478 P4 2.66. I also have 1 gig (2x512mb) of DDR ram. I have on board Intel video which hogs my ram.

According to Intel this motherboard can take a 3.4 Ghz processor and 4 gigs of DDR.

Now a single core 3.4 would be ok with 4 gigs of ram, but I plan on using this to play blu-rays and do HD video on satellite.

Would it be wiser to upgrade this to 3.4 single core with 4 gigs of ram

or get a quad core 2.6 ghz and 4 gigs of ram.

Basicly I am wondering this.

What could a 3.4 single core with 4 gigs of ram not do?
 
Even top of the line Pentium 4 processors are really outdated and slow compared to even the cheapest $59 dual-core processor on the market today. I am guessing you will likely spend around $100 on this upgrade. I say spend a little more and get a better motherboard, processor and RAM. Do you have a Windows installation disk?

Take a look at this hardware:

AMD Athlon II 240 Regor Dual-Core (2.8 gigahertz) Processor - $59
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103688

GIGABYTE GA-MA78LM-S2H Motherboard - $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128408&Tpk=GA-MA78LM-S2H

G.SKILL 2 gigabytes (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) RAM - $49
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...084&cm_re=DDR2_800_2gb-_-20-231-084-_-Product

Edit: You don't need 4 gigabytes of RAM. 2 gigabytes will be sufficient for what you are using this for.
 
Last edited:
Now a single core 3.4 would be ok with 4 gigs of ram, but I plan on using this to play blu-rays and do HD video on satellite.

Hd video on satellite internet? The ping and latency is gonna kill you.


But your better off spending the money on a better system as suggested.
 
The best thing to do would to go with the build 2megabytes suggested, but...


Thats kind of a tricky one, cause you could get a 3.4ghz model p4, for about 55$ on ebay, and that would help quite a bit, about 800mhz higher with 2mb of cache, so me, yes it would be better to go with the new build, but for a cheap temp upgrade, i would go with the 3.4ghz p4, but don't add any ram. DDR, is so expensive now days its not even worth it.
 
I highly suggest going for a multi-core processor over a single core any day of the week. And 2 Gigs of RAM should be enough.
 
Back
Top