Would my PC Boot at all with incompatible CPU?

thenorth

I have replaced a CPU in a PC, I had hoped it was the problem as it kept crashing, freezing, not booting. I thought it was the CPU as the owner replaced the heatsink and fan without putting and paste on. I put paste on but still had problems. I've replaced the CPU but now I can't install an OS at all (with the old CPU it wouldn't even boot to BIOS anymore).
Now my simple question is if the CPU I have put in was not compatible (although it should be) would it boot to BIOS/ let me start an XP install before Blue Screening or can I discount the CPU as my problem and look at the PSU (HD and RAM tests are OK).

Thanks.

theNORTH

Dngrsone

VIP Member
If the processor actually fits into the socket, then it at least has a chance of being compatible. The reasons it would be have to do with timing and such-- if you do a web search with your motherboard model number and the term specifications, you should be able to determine what processors are compatible with that motherboard.

No, generally speaking, if the processor is not compatible, nothing will will work.