Would plugging this into my mobo hurt it?

sup2jzgte

I just bought this fan http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999613 to help with the air flow in my case. I knew it was going to loud, but I did not expect it to be THIS loud, and I'm just curious what would happen if I plugged this into my MOBO? I draws 1.0A and is 15.6v, would it kill my board?

I bought a fan controller, but it has not come in yet so I need to find away to turn this beat down lol. It is effective I will say that it brought my whole system down from 40c at full load to 35c, so it does work.

just a noob

i wouldn't do it, the san ace's i use can kill a board, and they only draw .52 amps
edit: i notice it has a 3pin connecter with a tach connection on it(only a yellow wire plugged in it), go ahead and plug that in, with the molex into the psu, you should be able to control it

Last edited:

sup2jzgte

i wouldn't do it, the san ace's i use can kill a board, and they only draw .52 amps
edit: i notice it has a 3pin connecter with a tach connection on it(only a yellow wire plugged in it), go ahead and plug that in, with the molex into the psu, you should be able to control it

Yeah I was wondering why it only has one wire on the 3 connection mobo part. Right now I unplugged it from the PSU because I have no way of controlling it and it is just to damn loud lol. The reason why I'm worried is because while reading the reviews on Newegg one customer pointed out that this fan could kill your board, how does that work?

just a noob

as far as i know, it would just overdraw the header on the mobo, which could damage those traces, and/or the mosfets that supply power to the headers, but i would just plug the 3 pin connector with a tach wire into your mobo header, and the molex into your psu, you should be able to control the fan that way(you could also solder a 22ohm resistor in line with the power cable)