Would this be possible?

bamhm182

My dad was wondering if it'd be possible to get a modem that's plugged into a wireless router, than have one of the leads from the wireless router plugged into another router that'd have 2 computers hooked up to it and get internet on the 2 computers.

PC eye

banned
If that's a dial-up type modem forget it! The 56k is already slow enough as is without taxing the bandwidth if you were able to get it working. The main router should be setup to a dedicated service line(dsl) where you can run multiple systems on the residential gateway there.

PC eye

banned
For multiple systems the main router should see ports for the additional pcs besides the host/account system. That's referred to as a residential gateway type. For that you see a nik card for the host pc while others can still connect independent while the host is off if setup that way. Comcast will have all that information since they are the ISP there.

Geoff

VIP Member
I'm not sure why you are trying to do it that way, you only need one modem and one router. The router would be connected to the WAN port on the modem, and all the PC's would be connected to the router.

PC eye

banned
On dsl here the host has the nik card rather then a modem type while the rest connect hardwired into the main hub since that is the direct connection there. For cable a single machince see the Lan or usb option on the small ones while a larger router provided by the ISP allows for more systems to share.

bamhm182

I was wanting to do it this way because it'd be easier. I've got the modem in my room, than there's a really long ethernet cord running over to my dad's room on the other side of the house, he was wanting to hook up my brother's computer(next room over to his) But it's hard to get an ethernet cable long enough to reach across the house, so he was wanting to plug the ethernet cord that's already plugged into his computer, into the router, than have a shorter one off into his computer, and another shorter one off into my brother's computer.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What about going wireless? You might lose a little bit of speed but it saves on cables all around the house.

PC eye

banned
Generally the ISP will have an installer come in for running the wiring for dsl or cable while the wireless method would see one central hub without worry on what will or won't reach. johnb35's point there is something to consider.

PC eye

banned
It that is a cable modem likely mentioning Comcast if not dsl the idea on swapping or adding a router that you patch the modem into like a wireless model will save calling in an installer to hardwire each room. Still you should give Comcast a call for information on what they provide since you are a customer there.

Simply explain that you want three not just one pc connected. That would be the time to inquire about wireless routers over paying out extra to have someone come in to run the lines to each room.

hNic

i don't understand y ppl keep mentioning dial-up....you said u already have a router....you are OBVIOUSLY using hi-speed....with that said.......

you can bridge 2 routers together and i would suggest going wireless to save teh hassle

how it will work is the second router will carry the same wireless settings (network name and password) as the first router except you will disable DHCP in the second router so that it broadcasts the same signal as the first....thus resulting in a damn good connection for everyone....

PC eye

banned
i don't understand y ppl keep mentioning dial-up....you said u already have a router....you are OBVIOUSLY using hi-speed....with that said.......

you can bridge 2 routers together and i would suggest going wireless to save teh hassle

how it will work is the second router will carry the same wireless settings (network name and password) as the first router except you will disable DHCP in the second router so that it broadcasts the same signal as the first....thus resulting in a damn good connection for everyone....

The reference there was in the initial mention of a "modem" which wasn't specified at first. By linking two routers the second is connected only through one port seeing the bandwidth split over seeing a single router with each port seeing only one system for that channel. A single wireless would avoid the hassle of hard wiring each system.