Would this be worth it?

PC eye

banned
You would need at least a 512mb + system to actually see any worthwhile results. The basic requirements for the newer games out expect more capacity you would see in a newer system with a faster cpu as well as having more ram. That's simply a boat anchor there for checking the email and some web browsing. You wouldn't like the results you would see going with the limitattions seen there.

leSHok

yeah i just kind of reread the specs and remembered that my other comps specs was higher. the other computer is at my other house but yeah nvm...

PC eye

banned
One old build here saw 768mb(3 256mb PC133 simms) of memory there with an old K5 series AMD cpu that would have a far better chance while the cpu was still under 1ghz. That was an old 550mhz model there. Buying a used system a bit newer with 1gb or DDR memory and a somewhat good AGP card would a place to start.

StrangleHold

Staff member
PC eye I dont know who your trying to fool but there was never a AMD K5 550mhz, only a K6. But I guess that was a typo?

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
My old Soyo was 500mhz there. The Shuttle was a newer Slot A type over 500mhz for the cpu with a 133mhz fsb. http://users.erols.com/chare/sockets.htm shows the details better for each socket type.

The point being whether that was 500, 550, 700mhz it was still less then you owuld find on a newer Socket A model for AMD or a much faster PIII model for using any old system for gaming.

StrangleHold

Staff member
None of that has anything to do with what you said. There is not and never has been a K5 550mhz. The biggest K5 made was a 133MHZ with a PR rating of 200 and a K5 is not socket A either! There was a K6 550mhz. And its not a socket A either. Plus I would like to see this Socket 5/7 board that you had that supports that speed of ram or that much. The fastest K5 only ran on a 66MHZ FSB and no K5 board could see anywhere near that much ram!

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
The Shuttle board in that old case was a presocket A board that took three 256mb PC133 simms there. But was soon replaced for an Asus Socket A board with a 1gb of ram and an Atholon XP1800+ that would likely see a slow running CS as well. That's where the old 64mb video card saw a 128mb replacement!

StrangleHold

Staff member
One old build here saw 768mb(3 256mb PC133 simms) of memory there with an old K5 series AMD cpu that would have a far better chance while the cpu was still under 1ghz. That was an old 550mhz model there. Buying a used system a bit newer with 1gb or DDR memory and a somewhat good AGP card would a place to start.

This is what you said. They never made a K5 550 mhz, much less a K5 board that would use PC133 or read 768 mbs of ram. So make up your mind which story your sticking too!