Would this computer do what I want?

beeper

I want to buy a computer to connect to my home wireless network for internet surfing and music playing.

I have no need for anything else.

Would a Dell optiplex GX1 with 450 MHz P3, 192 MB of RAM and Windows XP do the trick?

DanLatimer

here are the system requirements for winXP home

PC with 300 megahertz (MHz) or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233-MHz minimum required;* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabyte (GB) of available hard disk space.*

• Super VGA (800 × 600) or higher resolution video adapter and monitor

so as you can see that is just the minimum to run winXP, It doesnt leave you with alot of resorces to run your applications like you web browser and mp3 player, but if you decided to/could install win98 you would have alot more system resources left and your computer would run faster.

min system requirements for win98

Processor: 486DX/66 MHz or higher.
Memory: 24 MB of memory; more memory improves performance.
Hard disk Space:

With a FAT16 File system, typical installation requires 260 MB of available hard-disk space, but may range between 210 MB and 400 MB, depending upon system configuration and options selected
With a FAT32 File system, typical installation requires 210 MB of available hard-disk space, but may range between 190 MB and 305 MB, depending upon system configuration and options selected

it would take around 75% less of your processor, aprox 100mbs less of ram out of your 192mbs and only take up around 200mbs instead of 1500mbs

win98 is a excellent OS you should consider going with that.