Would this PSU work in this case??

ghost

Yup, an easy way to look at it is looking out for ATX in the product name
(Advanced Technology Extended)

SPARKLE ATX-350PN-B204 ATX 12V 2.0 350W Power Supply

POWMAX Bio II CP601-2 Blue All Metal Construction (SGCC) ATX Mid Tower

PC eye

banned
The problem seen there is the low quality as well as low powered supply. What board are you planning to run in the case? A 350w supply wouldn't be advised for any of the newer PCI-Express type boards that look for at least a 450w model. The 450w supply offered with the case for the low price there would also be described as a "cheapie". If you are simply going to put an old Socket A or PII board a 350w supply will work. For a good name supply as well as the power needed you will be spending more there.

bamhm182

the mobo I'm putting in is going to be this one, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813135007, would it work? I noticed that on the 20-Pin part of the PSU, that in one of the holes, there was no Pin, I don't know if that's anything important, just wanted to point it out so I don't get screwed. If that PSU would suck with that mobo, what would you suggest I get instead?

Last edited:

bamhm182

here's a list of all the components I was planning to get, I checked and they should all be compatable:
Power Splitters:
2 Link Depot LED 4 PIN Y POWER CABLE Model POW-LED-4PY
Case:
1 POWMAX Bio II CP601-2 Blue All Metal Construction (SGCC) ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450W Single Fan Power Supply
Hard Drive:
1 SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series HD160JJ 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
1 Seagate 160 GB hard drive I'm using now
TV Tuner:
1 ENCORE ENLTV-FM PCI Interface Video Tuner & Capture Card
Video Card:
1 SAPPHIRE 100114 LB Radeon 9250 256MB DDR PCI Video Card
PSU:
1 SPARKLE ATX-350PN-B204 ATX 12V 2.0 350W Power Supply
Fans:
1 APEVIA(ASPIRE) CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Light Cooling Fan
3 Rosewill RFA80L-B 80mm Sleeve Blue LED Light Case Cooling Fan
CPU Thermal Compound:
1 Antec 77063 Silver Thermal Compound
RAM:
1 G.SKILL Extreme Series 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Unbuffered System Memory Model F2-4200PHU1-1GBLA
Mobo:
1 ECS 945PL-A (1.0) Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945PL Express ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU:
1 Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHz FSB LGA 775 Dual Core,EM64T Processor Model BX80551PE2666FN
Card Reader:
1 MTG CR-IN212XU-1 22-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader (it says it's internal, but uses the USB, how does that work, is it compatible with what I have, if not, do you know of one that I could use, that's internal, and supports Pro Duo memory sticks?)
Keyboard/Mouse
1 Microsoft N90-00076 2-Tone 102 Normal Keys 17 Function Keys USB RF Wireless Standard Keyboard Mouse Included

Last edited:

bball4life

350 watts is going to be enough for you build, the only real thing that will be drawing a lot of power is your cpu. Sparkle is a good name brand psu, the powmax is crap. The sparkle psu has decent amps on its 12v rails so it will be an effective psu. If you are concerned they have a 400watt psu found here. You know what I just realized, you don't have a optical drive in taht build. But 350 watts should be plenty for that build honestly, the average system won't use more then 350 watts and the only ones who use more are the extremely high end cpus (other then core 2) and high end video cards, with like 4 sticks of ram, 2 x1900xtx's.

Last edited:

bamhm182

I was planning to overclock the CPU, so do you think I should get the 350 or 400 watt? It really doesn't matter to me, I'll just shake my mom down and pay her off from selling the computer I'm using right now, returning some things to Wal-mart, the $185 I have now and stuff, btw, how much do you think my computer's worth right now, here's basic specs.

CPU: Pentium 3, 500 MHz
RAM: 256 MB slot 1
Mobo: Intel Seattle II SE440BX-2
Video Card: 8 MB
Type: Dell Dimension XPS T500
No Hard drive

would it be worth it to put in a smallish hard drive, probobly a 40 gig? like this one? and non geniune XP Pro, or none?

bball4life

Wouldn't be worth upgrading to sell, and honestly you won't get much for that comp. Maybe $100 if you get lucky. If you can get the 400watt you will be better off, but it probably isn't necessary.

bamhm182

all right, thanks, I'm going to put an add in the news paper sometime. and I think I'll get the 400watt, if my mom won't front the money, than I'll just get the things that I NEED to get the computer working(Case, Vid Card, PSU, RAM, mobo, CPU) and the cheap things(fans, CPU themal Compound, splitters) for now, than get the rest later.

bball4life

bamhm182 said:
all right, thanks, I'm going to put an add in the news paper sometime. and I think I'll get the 400watt, if my mom won't front the money, than I'll just get the things that I NEED to get the computer working(Case, Vid Card, PSU, RAM, mobo, CPU) and the cheap things(fans, CPU themal Compound, splitters) for now, than get the rest later.
Good idea, that should work well, the only hard part will be selling your old comp, it might now be worth paying for the add in the newspaper, just post it around here, I am sure someone will be interested.

bamhm182

yeah, there's 2 probs with that, it might be a little while before I get up too the 100 posts needed to start a thread in the marketplace, and 2. shipping would be EXPENSIVE if it wasn't a local pickup, I mean the thing weighs about 30 lb I think, I just weighed it the other day to see how much I was bringing back and forth between my houses, so it would be really expensive. I think that if this computer works out well I'm going to get another one around christmas

bball4life

bamhm182 said:
yeah, there's 2 probs with that, it might be a little while before I get up too the 100 posts needed to start a thread in the marketplace, and 2. shipping would be EXPENSIVE if it wasn't a local pickup, I mean the thing weighs about 30 lb I think, I just weighed it the other day to see how much I was bringing back and forth between my houses, so it would be really expensive. I think that if this computer works out well I'm going to get another one around christmas
True True