would you recommend bitdefender

selenarusso

im using avast free right now but i want to get something with full features. would you put bitdefender above others like norton and kaspersky

Darren

Staff member
What do you mean full features? I use Microsoft Security Essentials in conjunction with the default Windows firewall and have zero problems with viruses.

Havoc

AntiVirus depends on What OS you are running And how much Ram/memory you have..
Check out Comodo or Kingsoft if you don't have to much ram... If you have allot of ram, Avast or Avira....

spirit

Staff member
Norton's still horrible.

Free: Avast or MSE (used in conjunction with Malwarebytes)

Paid: I always used to use Kaspersky and liked it. Use it with Malwarebytes.

spirit

Staff member
Based on popular belief or on experience. Because I've used it and it wasn't closely as bad as people said it was.

Experience. Seriously, I help my Dad remove that crap from his customers machines (along with the awful McAfee). Once it's gone, voila, their machines are suddenly much faster.

One of my friends had Norton 360 V2 or whatever it was on subscription and when it ran out he asked if he should buy it again. I said forget it and stuck MSE on his machine instead. Much better.

Why would I recommend or want to use the newer versions knowing full well that their software is pretty rubbish and not very effective? Most of Dad's customers who had it have ditched it now and gone with freeware or Kaspersky.

Last edited:

Punk

Staff member
Experience. Seriously, I help my Dad remove that crap from his customers machines (along with the awful McAfee). Once it's gone, voila, their machines are suddenly much faster.

One of my friends had Norton 360 V2 or whatever it was on subscription and when it ran out he asked if he should buy it again. I said forget it and stuck MSE on his machine instead. Much better.

Why would I recommend or want to use the newer versions knowing full well that their software is pretty rubbish and not very effective? Most of Dad's customers who had it have ditched it now and gone with freeware or Kaspersky.

I totally agree that paying for it is useless compared to the free version of Avast, but Norton isn't that much of a ressource hog, just a little. It works great against viruses, I tested it (Norton 360, first version I think 2010) and it picked up some viruses I didn't with Avast and other A-V.