WOW Crazy Virus

Compequip

So I'm working on a Dell Optiplex GX520 and it has a nasty virus. It doesn't want to boot into windows, it wants to loop on boot up. When you finally do get it to boot, if you try to open any applications, the computer shuts down or gives you dll errors and freezes. This computer didn't have a single point of defense from malware or antispyware, nothing. So the computer was fine until they hooked it up to the internet and left it running over night and urghhhhh blammmmm. So I tried safe mode, running antivirus programs etc., etc. to no avail. So I have the original windows xp pro disc that came with this computer. I'm doing a fresh install and formatting the hd and wow.... still issues. After it reformatted the hd, it started with a dbgeng.dll was not copied correctly to the next one, to the next and finally esc. the windows install. I can't even format and reload windows. What kind of virus did this guy get. I'm ready to take it to a software guy and replace the hd. :eek:

So here is an update. I tried deleting the partition and reload windows. Comes up again with (!@#$).dll was not copied or cannot find bs. But this time I was able to hit enter and continue. I got all the way to 100% and bsod with the message " A problem has been detected and windows has shut down blah blah blah. If this is the first time blah blah blah. So this is the 4th time I'm going to delete and reload.

Last edited:

Viision

Try zeroing the drive using a linux live cd. I can give you the command its:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

Then try doing a reinstall should be a lot easier.

Note: This is a suggestion and risky because if you choose the wrong hard drive then your data is unrecoverable.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Check the RAM isn't bad (with Memtest86+). Usually when things can't copy, it's because of defective RAM.

Compequip

Try zeroing the drive using a linux live cd. I can give you the command its:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

Then try doing a reinstall should be a lot easier.

Note: This is a suggestion and risky because if you choose the wrong hard drive then your data is unrecoverable.

I'm in the us and linux isn't popular here. I have 0 experience with linux and don't have any of there cd's.

Compequip

Check the RAM isn't bad (with Memtest86+). Usually when things can't copy, it's because of defective RAM.

As of now, I can't boot up anymore after formatting the hd. After trying to reload windows last night/this morning I was thinking of checking the memory or replacing. There are 2 sticks of DDR2 512mb. So maybe remove one or just buy a new stick to see if it works.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, one or all sticks of memory are bad. That's the first thing you do when windows installation can't copy files.

Compequip

Well I replaced the memory and boom loaded windows. The windows screen pops up with music saying it's loading and all things are good, then BLAM BSOD. Windows has encountered a serious error. URGGGGGG....... Well I don't no, it's a $200 computer that I don't want to mess with. I can buy another refurb. pre loaded then load the software necessary to make his machine run and call it a day. This is crazy. Cheap Dell mobo and dell 95watt psu with on board graphics. Urgh crap computer. Using 2 512mb memory chips. I gonna try another stick out of another dell I have in the warehouse and if it doesn't work I'm done.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You got a bluescreen but you couldn't tell us what it said? Like Voyagerfan said, you are giving up too easily on this.

Compequip

Here's the update;

So I talked with the customer and he said they had a few surges in the shop. BTW this computer is used in an automotive shop location. I always suggest buying Battery back ups, Surge protector with AVR because of this. So I tried replacing both sticks of ram with one stick and it loaded windows and then failed. So I grabbed another 2 sticks that are identical to what was in there and bam, solved the problem. It was bad ram and for some reason it didn't like the one stick I put in there. The error messages always changed everytime, but would give long numbers and then lock up to that screen. So now I loaded everything up and loaded the software he needs to get back up, but I can't get the ethernet port to work. Now I no it was working, but after loading windows it now doesn't. Do I have to load the/a driver for the mobo in order to get the ethernet port to work. I went to set up, but it says cannnot find connection. I plugged in a cat 6 from my modem to the computer and it worked before I reloaded windows, but again now doesn't. I don't have any original back up cd's for this machine other that his windows xp pro and one software disc for the program he needs to run.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you reinstalled windows you most likely need to install the lan driver and others. Look in device manager for entries still requiring drivers. You get the drivers from Dell's website.

Compequip

If you reinstalled windows you most likely need to install the lan driver and others. Look in device manager for entries still requiring drivers. You get the drivers from Dell's website.

K, I'm starting a new thread on reloading windows & drivers.