WPA Question

webbrowser

Hi, everybody. Please excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject I am asking about. As far as I know, you are not able to set up WPA encryption on your laptop in a wifi hotspot(unless of course the owner tells you the router's MAC address and passphrase). However, I was wondering what exactly the WPA does. I read that it supposedly encrypts all the so-called "data" that you send out(specifically for web browsing, downloading, etc.), and makes anyone trying to connect to your computer(and therefore your network) need to input the correct passphrase. If this is the case, isn't there some sort of software that could also encrypt your outbound data in the same way on a hotspot, but without actually setting up an encrypted network between your computer and a router(or access point)? I am guessing that if there is, then it would probably only encrypt outbound "data", and not protect you from people trying to access your computer. I have read about VPNs, TOR, etc., but as far as I can understand, these only try to mask your IP/identity. They also say that they "tunnel data," but doesn't all web traffic have to make "hops" anyway? So how would they "tunnel data," unless that company had a physical line running straight from your computer to their server? I welcome any number of responses on this subject, and I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thank you very much!

User0one

When using wifi hotspots I use the free version of Hotspot Shield. Suppose to give a little protection, but when using hotspots i tend to side on caution, and don't do online shopping or banking where I am putting out Credit Card numbers or Passwords.

webbrowser

Thank you, User0one, for the suggestion. As for the other poster, I'd like to know what part of my question he believes implies that I have so much knowledge, and also how he thinks I sound so ignorant. I have searched for many hours on this specific topic, but have not found any definitive answer, no offense User0one, therefore it is not ignorance, but more confusion/desire for knowledge. I would then ask the other poster to offer some sort of help on the subject, in order to clear up the confusion for anyone else who might have the same question, rather than just making labels for people.

User0one

WPA is for Router Security, prevents hacking the Routers Network, it really doesn't offer any security for the users Computer.

bratsos

WPA is in generic lines a security, ask for a key, when some1 try to connect wireless in your router.

WPA the only job make is to combine the name of your network (SSID)and your key(passphrase mode WPA), and give the low weak security summary in to TKIP algorithm.
TKIP algorithm create a strong dynamic encryted key based on WPA protocoll.
WPA2 support better encryption algorithm.

About internet security is some thingks you can make...

First login as limited right user, when you play internet activities.
Install a antikeylogger program.
Tunnel help you only if you have a computer in your house running 24 hours per day...
When you are using tunnel, sniffers from the local network, cannot find your packets.
Basically you are using your own internet (if you have) when you are using tunnel.

My advice ?

Install DNS servers from http://www.opendns.com

And you have and cloud internet... and many others advance features for free.
Just create a free account and enjoy.

Last edited: