write HD to zero

goosy22

do you mean completely erase it?

format it... right click on it and select format... if it's the drive that you run your OS on, boot up MS-DOS (google and download it if you don't have it) and type fdisk and push enter... you will want to delete the partition... and PRESTO! new disk...

hope that helps...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I made a post about this a while back but go no real help. Somewhere I had a Segate Low Level Format utility(same thing, I beleive) that worked well, but was limited to about 80G drives.

Do you know the brand of the drive? Maybe there's something on their website? Or just look around. My Seagate utility would work with any drive.

Technogab

Use Dariks Boot and Nuke (Its Free!)
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

It creates a boot CD for you that you just put in the PC and boot up. The program does the rest. You can choose your level of "nuke" and how many times you want it to write over the drive. It takes time, but works great. I use this for Work PC's when we are getting rid of them and want to make sure no sensitive data is still on them.

puffaSmoke

it's an old maxtor 80G. I did not see any thing at their website.

I had found and thought about using Dariks... I wanted to get feedback from someone who actually HAS done this, ya know. Hearsay abounds on these forums and lots of people don't know what the hell they're talking about.

I am sueing the guy that sold me the HD and will have to surrender it to him after I win, so I need to make damn sure he can't see any of my old data.

Thanks,
Mike

goosy22

I had found and thought about using Dariks... I wanted to get feedback from someone who actually HAS done this, ya know. Hearsay abounds on these forums and lots of people don't know what the hell they're talking about.

It takes time, but works great. I use this for Work PC's when we are getting rid of them and want to make sure no sensitive data is still on them.

looks to me that someone has experience with it... and your experience could be different with it anyways... you might as well give it a try...