wrong bios

zer0_c00l

ok,i bricked my ASUS M5A97 motherboard with a bad flash,ordered new bios chip from ASUS and it seems to have bios for the evo version on the chip. i know they are almost the same board but my bios setting will not save after reboot.is there anyway to put my M5A97 bios back on the board or do i have to sent it back? already tried eazy flash didnt work. any help would be great

StrangleHold

Staff member
If the bios chip is the same and it just came with the EVO bios, but the computer still boots and runs. The problem your running into is when your trying to flash it to a ASUS M5A97, the bios program sees the board as a EVO. Does the EZ flash have the option to over ride the error, if so try that. Pus you would need to update both the main and boot block.

Have you tried the Asus windows update utility. Dont do it from the internet, download and save the bios update and direct the utility to the saved update. On Asus I dont know if either program has a override to update even if the program thinks its the wrong update. If it bricks it again it doesnt really matter, if you cant save a change you would need to replace it anyway again. They should send you a new one for free anyway since they sent you the wrong one.

Last edited:

zer0_c00l

well.. how would i update the boot block? :D sorry man im such a bios nub.im buying a new board,cpu,ram from a forum member and i just wanna get it working right for my wifes gaming rig.:D her bf3 is lagging with my old 7850 kuma and ddr2 :D and ill try the asus windows update

zer0_c00l

tried asus update.. what i get
Untitled-72.png

zer0_c00l

FIX!!! i booted with the wrong bios chip. then went to bios flash screen removed the chip replaced it with my old chip .FLASHED ... restarted and BOOM!!!!! worked like a charm.thanks for all the advice guys really helped me out along the way :D