WTB Laptop for School---need help

I want to buy a new laptop. Ill be a student with an undeclared major. I like media. Im looking to spend under $1000. What should i look for? what processors are good? what graphics cards? whats the difference btw intel's x3100 and the x4500 or other brands? any help would be appreciated.

DMGrier

VIP Member
That is not enough information, do you want to run some games or no? And the x3100 is a really bad graphic card, extremely bad. It can't do much with anything 3d. Tell me EXACTLY what you want from your computer and people will help you find good deals.

The main purpose is to do basic school work. Im not a gamer. I will be using it for watching and possibly creating movies/videos. I just need it to be faster, and run smoother than the POS i have now(an older toshiba w/celeron M). I will probably use my computer to create basic multimedia presentations. I want my computer to be able to run multipule applications fairly smoothly (internet, music, and while witting a paper) And $1000 is basically my max to spend.

So the x3100 is crap? what about next step up the x4500?

Ill be storing movies, music, pictures, and papers on my computer. How much memory would you advise?

the only processor Ive heard much about is the Core 2 Duo, and thats just because it got all the publicity. Is it really that great? and how much difference will a 2.0GHz vs. a 2.26GHz processor make? what about AMD vs. Intel?

Thanks