Wtb:Printer

hells3000

Looking for a printer with avg photo quality printing, printer, scanner, copy machine, card reader, fax not needed but if it doesnt make a diffrence it's welcome :p.

Any other suggestions?

Other features that migth be usefull?

heyman421

banned
do you really need color? How often do you actually print photos?

The ink's just so expensive...

It's cheaper to get prints made at kinkos or a store that does digital photo printing.

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Hmm..., well I've never liked Lexmarks in general, although there have been some exceptions and surprises, however this is not one of them. Here's a Canon that beats it in pretty much every way imaginable:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828102041

Take a look especially at the overall print resolution as well as optical scan resolution. The print resolution is about 8x better, and the scan resolution is about 2x better. May be a little bit more after the mail-in rebate, but for $20 less up front and only $30 more down the road (if you even get the rebate), it's definitely the better buy. Plus the individual ink tanks allow you to get every bit of ink out of the cartridge lowering your cost per page even further, as well as being lower in the first place because the cost per page on the Canon is lower.

Anyway, happy hunting! :) (BTW, don't overlook the 2GB jump drive that's free with the Canon, and that print resolution is the highest out there for that price range, period.)

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Here's a brief overview of the cartridge page yields:

Lexmark 43 (Color): 350 (MSRP: $24.99 - 7.1 cents a page)
Lexmark 44 (Black): 540 (MSRP: $24.99 - 4.6 cents a page)

Canon CLI-8 (Black): 420 (MSRP: $14.25 - 3.4 cents a page)
Canon CLI-8 (Color-each): 420 (MSRP:$14.25 - 3.4 cents a page)
Canon CLI-5 (Black): 360 (MSRP: $16.25 - 4.5 cents a page)
FYI: The CLI-5 Black is for photo printing (better color black) and the CLI-8 is for text quality black.

hells3000

do you really need color?
I don't want black and white pictures...
How often do you actually print photos?
I currently have to print around 400 pictures...
Do you suggest I get my prints on a digital photo printing store?

Yup I c in DCIScouts Overview
Thanks DCIScouts

It's cheaper to get prints made at kinkos or a store that does digital photo printing.

I currently have to print like 400 photos...
I do printing for personal use only..
Espeacially having 2 daughters, you always wanna capture every moment ;)

Edit: Is there a way I can switch back and forward, to be able to print black and white, then color prints?

Thanks DCIScouts, heyman421
Appreacite your help.

Last edited:

trammsrvt

I've had to replace 2 multifunction Lexmark's in 3 yrs and my current rattle-trp X8350 won't work with a XP USB hub. Plus the tech support is useless.

I won't own another Lexmark but that's all the feedback I can offer.

Regards,

Ron

hells3000

do you really need color? How often do you actually print photos?

I called kinkos up and printing prices for a 4x6 is 49cents.......

cvs is 15 cents online with kodak paper....

This a list on prices:
Product CVS Price
4x6 Print - one hour $0.19
4x6 Print - 1-2 business days $0.15
5x7 Print $1.49
8x10 Print $3.99
16x20 Enlargement $79.99
China Plate $19.99
Mousepad (with Template) $13.99
Playing Cards $26.99
Poster 20" x 30" Gloss $19.99
Puzzle (130 piece) with photo tin $19.99
20 - 4x8 Greeting Cards () - Package $14.99
40 - 4x8 Greeting Cards () - Package $26.99
60 - 4x8 Greeting Cards () - Package $35.99
80 - 4x8 Greeting Cards () - Package $44.99
100 - 4x8 Greeting Cards () - Package $53.99

Last edited:

heyman421

banned
I'm not opposed to color printers, i was just making sure you considered your options.

Cause a lot of people get color printers just because they're "better" and don't consider whether they're actually going to USE the color functionality or whether they could have been just as happy with a laser, and spend much much less on ink.

If you're actually going to use it to print color, tho, you really don't have any options. Color laser printers are almost just as expensive to fill and maintain, with a much larger initial cost to boot.

Last edited:

DCIScouts

VIP Member
With a lot of prints to go through, the kiosks or photo printing shops are still going to be the cheapest way to go. However, if you're looking to have some ability to print at home now and then, that Canon is still definitely the way to go. Happy printing! :D

hells3000

With a lot of prints to go through, the kiosks or photo printing shops are still going to be the cheapest way to go.

How cheap ?

Ive heard on the news that online print labs do prints down to 8 cents per print.

I am gonna get this cannon, it's a must...
Think 8x10 are cheaper at home they cost 3.99 each :eek: :eek: :eek:

DCIScouts

VIP Member
Well, I'm not sure exactly how much the photo would cost off of the Cannon (can't find that info very easily), but where I work an 8x10 costs $0.89 each, or $0.89 for as much as you can get on to a 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

hells3000

Well, I'm not sure exactly how much the photo would cost off of the Cannon (can't find that info very easily), but where I work an 8x10 costs $0.89 each, or $0.89 for as much as you can get on to a 8.5x11 sheet of paper.

Where do you work at ?