WTB: SSD >= 120gb

kobaj

VIP Member
Title says it all, I'm looking to get my hands on an SSD that is 120GB or bigger. SATA 3 preferred.

Let me know what you guys got.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I personally don't have one for sale, but I'd highly recommend the Sandisk Ultra or Extreme series. They are quite inexpensive (nearly $1/1GB) with very good performance. I've got a 120GB Ultra in my desktop and 120GB Extreme in my new laptop.

kobaj

VIP Member
I personally don't have one for sale, but I'd highly recommend the Sandisk Ultra or Extreme series. They are quite inexpensive (nearly $1/1GB) with very good performance. I've got a 120GB Ultra in my desktop and 120GB Extreme in my new laptop.

Thanks for your input. Those do look like slick drives especially with the new sandforce 2281 controller in them. :D I'll probably order one from newegg if I don't get any offers on here for something.

Perkomate

Drive in sig is amazing. Not a single problem, ludicriously fast. Comes with the legendary Kingston support/warranty. Not much more I could ask for here.

Perkomate

dunno about the agility. Don't they have problems with reliability? OCZ Sandforce Roulette, i think it was called.

Benny Boy

I'd get it over a similarly priced used one. The issue was with a certain Sandforce controller that many manuf's used, not OCZ per se. FW updates have helped.

kobaj

VIP Member
How much would you pay for a 160 gig?

Without knowing more information than just the size of the drive, probably 1$/gb so 160$. That would heavily depend on how long it has been used, which sata it is, what nand it houses, and the controller.

Drive in sig is amazing. Not a single problem, ludicriously fast. Comes with the legendary Kingston support/warranty. Not much more I could ask for here.

Very nice drive, but I'm afraid its price per gb ratio is too high for my likeing.

I may be looking at this incorrectly, but that drive is 150$? After the 15% coupon 130$. Even rebate only drops it to 100$. How did you come out with 90$?

Beyond that, the OCZ agility 3 has asynchronous (read: the slowest) nand, so it is out of the question.

Now, the OCZ vertex 3 also has that 15% off deal though, and synchronus nand with a sandforce 2281 controller.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

For those keeping score at home, if I don't receive any more offers I'm torn between
Sandisk Extreme - sandforce 2281 - toggle nand - speed - 140$
Crucial M4 - Marvel 9174 - ONFi 2 nand - reliability - 144$
OCZ vertex 3 - sandforce 2281 - synch nand - speed - 136$

Tough choices.

kobaj

VIP Member
I think Chronos Deluxe is one of the best but it's $200.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233191

Yeah, I did have my eye on the Chronos series for a little bit, but the Deluxe is the one with synchronous and as you pointed out, is a bit high in price.

Also your link to the corsair is the same situation for me.

If the Agility III is slow, im not noticing it, just sayin~

Hehe, true true, I do know that the speed differences between asynch and synch is less than a few mb/s. But just /knowing/ that sets me on edge.

If the drive were for my current system (SATA2) I wouldn't care in the world, but its for SATA3, and I want the fastest!