WTF.. it makes no sense (please help)

chronicmike

ok, so i have an ethernet (LAN) connection at 100 mb/s, the problem is that my internet is slower than dial-up... wtf.. there are no viruses on my computer that i know of, and i have norton 360 protecting me from just that (it better work too for what it costs). to my understanding, 100mbps is not supposed to download at speeds of about 600b/s. with gigaget, it can (if im lucky) reach to about 12000b/s...which is still slooooooooow... wtf..

so if someone has a solution or a comment for me please feel free to respond.

Last edited:

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Your network speed has nothing to do with your internet speed. Unless there's some major flaw with some networking device or some setting, it should work just fine.

What type of internet and network are we referring to here? Assumingly some broadband with a modem connected to a router? Can you connect the modem directly to a PC and test the network speeds that way?

chronicmike

Your network speed has nothing to do with your internet speed. Unless there's some major flaw with some networking device or some setting, it should work just fine.

What type of internet and network are we referring to here? Assumingly some broadband with a modem connected to a router? Can you connect the modem directly to a PC and test the network speeds that way?

ummmmmmmm... i think my network is called LAN and the type of internet i have is 100mbps (i assume as much because i dont know what else to call it):(

ETSA

100mbps would be extremly expensive and very unlikely. Standard speeds for cable are between 2mbs and 20mbps and even than there is quite a price difference. So I would say if you have broadband which is cable it is more likely slowly than 100mbps.

Check here and report back, also, call your ISP and ask them the speed.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Pick a location closest to yours ^ .

BTW norton is costly and crappy :).

www.avast.com

Check that site out for anti-virus.

chronicmike

ok thank you, i found out that (8KB/sec transfer rate) is my actual transfer rate (ooo.. that sucks). i guess the 100mbps is what my network has, cool for them. youve both been very helpful, especially you ETSA.. now, now the_other_one dont be discouraged. i like you to... .........(...). im just playin but seriously i appreciate it.. cool, cool...
lol aight peace {-;
-~-He who uh, well, smokes too much (me)

p.s... how do i get some of those rectangles under my name to light up all neatish (<---i made it up)

Last edited:

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
p.s... how do i get some of those rectangles under my name to light up all neatish (<---i made it up)

It lights up after you make alot of posts, look for the ranks page for more details.

Anyways, yeah, the 100mpbs is your network speed, which basically means that you can reach up to 100mbps transfering data between computers on the network. However your internet speed is dependent on your provider.