wtf...messed up network traffic, 5kb/sec on one pc, 180kb/sec on others

zaroba

this is seriously messed up and it only seems to have started recently.

my network consists of 3 PCs.
one for the family, my gaming pc, and a pc used to run game servers.

there all hooked upto the network, the gaming and family pc both use dhcp, the server pc has a static ip on the network and has the correct dns etc settings. the router is set to allow 3 dhcp clients and the range does not include the server pcs static ip, and all the nics are set to use 100mbit/sec. lately though, the server pc has been having slow bandwidth issues.

i'll try to copy a small file over, something thats only around 1mb or so, and it'll take 20 mins. will try to download a patch for the game servers, and it'll only download at 5kb/sec. i know its not the site either, since downloading from the site on my gaming pc will resault in a 180kb/sec download speed. rebooted the server pc and it went a whoppong 7kb/sec.

its running win2k, and granted, it is pretty old (1ghz p3 with 128mb of ram) but that should have no effect on the bandwidth. it was going fine and fast a few months ago. and the pc is used for nothing else at all so i doubt it would be spyware or a virus unless one went over the network. but theres no unusual processes running and nothing to hint theres a virus.

so...wtf is up with my network?
i'm pretty sure i've checked everything and can find no reason for it to not work. but maybe i overlooked something

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
I would set up static DHCP on your gaming server via router control panels and then use the router's QoS if it has it to make sure each client gets sufficient bandwidth