X2 4400+ overclocking question

Raise109

Hi, thnx for reading!
Im thinking of upgrading my CPU to a dual core system in a few month time (maybe when the AM2 is released, hoping for a price drop), and i have my eye on a X2 4400+ to drop in the system in my sig, i was just wondering what's the overclockability of this processor like, i would like to hit 2600mhz same as an fx 60 :D, is this easy or would it require extra cooling, if not what are the best people have got with it!

thanks in advance!

TheChef

Although each individual processor overclocks differently, hitting a .6 Ghz overclock shouldn't be extremely hard. I've personally hit 2.6 (some people can hit higher) from a 1.8 Ghz processor, the Athlon 64 3000 (the Venice is an extremely nice core to OC on). I'd say you wouldn't have too much of a problem nor be hard pressed to find someone who's overclocked to 2.6.

Raise109

thnx chef
Initial indications are good then, i may get a zalman resenator+, then have that in place ready for the new chip, then i cant see any reason at all why it wont reach 2600+ safely, im guesing it will run hotter than the single core version so i will be wanting to go overkill on the heat front, especialy with the price tag!
would like to hear from someone who has done similar to what i have in mind, to find out what sort of temps they get!

Dialamo

TheChef said:
Although each individual processor overclocks differently, hitting a .6 Ghz overclock shouldn't be extremely hard. I've personally hit 2.6 (some people can hit higher) from a 1.8 Ghz processor, the Athlon 64 3000 (the Venice is an extremely nice core to OC on). I'd say you wouldn't have too much of a problem nor be hard pressed to find someone who's overclocked to 2.6.
A 4400+ is clocked at 2.2Ghz so that would mean a .4Ghz overclock which is even easier.:D

But I don't get this, if you overclock a 4400+ to 2.6Ghz, you will get the same performance as an FX-60? No way!:eek:

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Heya

As far as I know the FX60 is special only in terms of having an unlocked multiplier. It also has a 2 x 1MB cache as the 4400+ so if you manage to get the same frequency out of it, the performance will be the same as that of an FX-60 :) So... you were right. Overclocking does wonders (I managed to get an FX-55 equivalent in terms of performance from my Venice 3000+)

JAN :D

Raise109

Cool :) well thats made my mind up, im running a 300mhz fsb as it is so i will prob be able to lower it, i may also consider the opteron alternative! but thanks for all your help!

:) ;)

Clutch

banned
It is most definately possible to get up to 2.6GHz with that processor. Just make sure you get good RAM and a good mobo.

Raise109

cool thanks, looks like i wont be able to get this for quite a bit, my engine in may car has cooked and it needs replacing so thats my new comp out the window! :(