X38 or P35 Board. Which should I buy?

BKSinAZ

I am about to purchase a board, but ran into some confusion.
I will only be using one video card (eVGA 8800GT). I don't plan on over clocking the video card. I will be buying the Conroe E6850 3.0ghz and maybe "might" over clock it to 3.2ghz at the very most. I will be purchasing the Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 and won't over clock that.

Given that info and money aside, would I benefit with a P35 or a X38 board? Why?

spanky

The only benefit that you might see is that the 8800GT is PCIe 2.0 and so is the x38 chipset. The P35 chipset is only PCIe 1.1. As far as I've seen there has been no comparison of the two. However, the 8800GT is still the best performing nvidia card for it's price.

Daywalker

I am about to purchase a board, but ran into some confusion.
I will only be using one video card (eVGA 8800GT). I don't plan on over clocking the video card. I will be buying the Conroe E6850 3.0ghz and maybe "might" over clock it to 3.2ghz at the very most. I will be purchasing the Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 and won't over clock that.

Given that info and money aside, would I benefit with a P35 or a X38 board? Why?

I know its probably not what you want to hear but I will add my tuppence worth.

If it was me I would put it on hold just until Jan 08 as its alleged that the new Intel X48 chipsets will be rolled out, this is what I am going to do as you kind of *future proof your self* (gets ready to be flamed for that statement :D)

Just my view on the situation, as its only around the corner.

BKSinAZ

I know its probably not what you want to hear but I will add my tuppence worth.

If it was me I would put it on hold just until Jan 08 as its alleged that the new Intel X48 chipsets will be rolled out, this is what I am going to do as you kind of *future proof your self* (gets ready to be flamed for that statement :D)

Just my view on the situation, as its only around the corner.

I appreciate your honesty, however I just purchased a eVGA 8800GT 512mb card and I a burning to use it,:D and my current motherboard does not have pci-e slots.

Kesava

as theresthatguy said, go with the x38.

usually i would recommend a P35 board, but you want pci2 2.0 to get the most out fo your card.

whats the price difference by the way?

colt1911

In all my readings the X38 vs P35 is not worth the price / performance ratio. You don't even utilizes the all of the PCIe 1.1 at the moment and probably will not for a while. So save yourself some money to spend on other parts. And yes the X48 is coming out but will only use DDR3 memory and that is very costly for not much of a performance gain over DDR2. As time goes by the timings will get better as will performance and price.

Kesava

ok well i reckon you should get it.

its a decent board no matter how you look at it.

spanky

as theresthatguy said, go with the x38.

usually i would recommend a P35 board, but you want pci2 2.0 to get the most out fo your card.

whats the price difference by the way?

I never told him to get x38. I merely gave reasons why one might be better than the other to let him choose for himself. If it was me and I had that 8800GT bad boy laying around, I would get the P35 now and upgrade to x48 later (if it was necessary for his needs.)

paratwa

The x48 board is going to be an enthusiast board. Probably very expensive and not worth the price if your not going to over clock everything in site.

I would go with the x38 board because of pci-e 2.0 and full support for HTT 3.0.

MixedLogik

I would also go for the X38 board because of PCI-E 2.0, Since must cards in the near future will be going to run alot faster using PCI-E 2.0. Also I hear it has very nice DDR3 interface. Me being a overclocker, I love boards that have good overclockability(Although I haven't overclocked my components because I haven't finished building my system.) Also that full HTT 3.0 will give really nice Hyper Threading and Transport. The newer 45nm processor are going to be bilistering speed, Go for that x38

Joe2005

I am only going to use one video card, a eVGA 8800GT. Whats the difference between crossfire and SLI?

SLI is Nvidia's technology for multiple GPU's

Crosfire is ATI's technology for multiple GPU's

They are NOT compatiable and not worth it.

taylormsj

Yes the board will work great for you, but you wont be able to buy another 8800GT and run it in SLI on this board

But since you dont need SLI, it doesnt matter, go for it !!

b3rt_d4ni3l

What he meant by not compatible is that you cannot put two NVidia cards and run it SLI on a CrossFire board and vice versa (2 ATI cards on SLI board).

Nightrain

If price is a difference it is also something to consider. P35 boards can be found around the $100 range, whereas most of the x38 boards I have seen are $180-300.

Also, if you go with a P35 board if you overclock your cpu your also going to be overclocking your memory. But if your only going to be going for ~200mhz then that won't be an issue with that memory. I'm not sure if the X38 chipset can run the memory unlinked, someone else will have to chime in there.