X38 Vs Evga 780i

vonfeldt7

I've been planning my upcoming build for a little over....forever. Since the start I've had my motherboard selected, but now I'm thinking about the 780I.

It's between these:
Either the EVGA 780i the XFX 780i
or the Asus Maximus Formula.

I think I'd still prefer the X38 Maximus Formula, as it's cheaper, has higher FSB speeds and and [from what I've heard] don't overclock as well, but if someone could give me some suggestions, that'd be great. Thanks.

Last edited:

JLV2k5

Well what graphics card company do you like? The decision could be as simple as that.

Otherwise, I dont think it would matter between 780i's, but I do think EVGA has a better MB rep over XFX. As for Asus, careful, picky with ram.

JLV2k5

In that case the 780i is sure overkill with 3 PCIe slots. You should probably get a X38 or even P35 chipset board from EVGA/Gigabyte/MSI

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
The X38 is about the best chipset out right now, but the only reason i wouldn't get a ASUS x38 board is due to the vdroop. Thats whats keeping me from getting one, i'll probably be ordering the X38-DS4 in a few days.

colt1911

If you are only going to run one GPU and if you'll be doing any overclocking, you might want to consider a top end P35 board and save yourself some money. I just switched from the 680I series to a Asus P5K Premium and have seen great results with board. I was able to overclock higher and run alot more stable with the P35.The P35 performs just as well as the X38 and the only difference is the 2.0 PCI-E which really doesn't matter at this point.

vonfeldt7

Almost convinced to get the P35, just a few more questions:

1. When comparing the P35 to the X38 Maximus Formula, the fsb speeds aren't as fast on the P35 [1333/1066] as they are on the X38 Maximus Formula [1600/1333]. Would this effect performance on my Q9450 when I overclock?

2. Does the P35 has as many overclocking options as the X38? (I've never O/C'ed and I hear the X38 has a lot of user-friendly options in the bios).

3. I'm not totally understanding this whole vdroop stuff. After looking through yahoo search results...I'm wondering why it even exists. From what I've seen, most people just complain about it. Even with vdroop, this should still be a decent overclocking board right?

Last edited:

andy_mitch92

well i have a asus maximus formula and i have overclocked a cedar mill p4 to over 4ghz from 3ghz on air and it worked just fine... and i have also read about Vdroop and it shouldn't matter unless you are going to overclock that 9450 or (9550 in my case, when i get it) to way more than you should be.

but thats just one mans opinion