xfi worth it?

CloakingHalk

So i have Logitechs z-5300e. Now is it worth getting an xfi sound card instead of the audigy 2 zs? Ive heard that for an xfi sound card, to get sound increase you need a really good speaker system.

ckfordy

banned
CloakingHalk said:
So i have Logitechs z-5300e. Now is it worth getting an xfi sound card instead of the audigy 2 zs? Ive heard that for an xfi sound card, to get sound increase you need a really good speaker system.

i would get the audigy and save your money cause its not worth it to me but it might be to other people and i heard good things about the audigy. thats the card im thinking of getting when i upgrade my system

TheChef

Unless you are in the music business or are very serious about sound quality, teh X-Fi is pretty much overkill over the Audigy 2. What will you be doing on it?

Vav00m

i'm looking to pick up an x-fi sound card or similar.. are there any with s/pdif optical on the back of the card (not the external/internal box it comes with, but the pci card itself?).. i'm building a computer for music only, and i have yet another question for you: what is the best computer audio format? I have a hard drive full of 320kbit mp3's, but i'm looking on picking up a couple 250gb hard drives and using them just for music.. is wave the way to go?

Oh and is there anyone out there who has used an E-Mu sound card?? I'm interested to hear the reviews..

Geoff

VIP Member
the Audigy 2zs is $100 at stores, and the X-Fi is $130 at stores, for only $30 more, i would deffinetly get it. I have the Z-5300 and it makes them sound much nicer, although i usually use the headphones since the CMSS 3-D works better with headphones, but id say its worth it getting the X-Fi. ANd get the Xtreme-Music or platinum, dont get the fatality.

randruff

You can pickup the Audigy 2 ZS for $70-80 USD. Is there a difference, sure there is. Is it noticable to the average user, nope.

Geoff

VIP Member
randruff said:
You can pickup the Audigy 2 ZS for $70-80 USD. Is there a difference, sure there is. Is it noticable to the average user, nope.

Audigy 2zs $100: http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=308472&pfp=SEARCH

X-Fi $130: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat01053&id=1118841152655

As i said, its $100 in stores for the audigy2zs, and $130 in stores for the X-Fi. And believe me, i've used both, and the surround sound is much better with X-Fi then audigy 2zs.

randruff

Of course its more expensive in retail stores, thats the proverbial nature of the beast. Shop online, you'll find it much cheaper. Geoff you may very well be correct about this as I have never heard the X-fi. I am basing my opinions on what I read (i think on tomshardware.com). They are generally pretty accurate when it comes to reviews.