xfi

PC eye

banned
It wouldn't onboard video but onboard sound there. For gaming and other things where EAX special audio effects have applilcation you would notice the difference right away. In fact just for the echo effect on sounds assigned to certain things like critical stops or program errors the Audigy model here proves invaluable. But at the same time Sound Blaster cards are known to draw on power a lot when there heavy gaming and multimedia running.

MIK3daG33K

I have a Xfi card and also another huge difference is the support of true 5.1 surround sound that doesn't come on the onboard sound card. If you are planning on getting 5.1 surround sound or higher you MUST pick up one of these cards.

PC eye

banned
Lately I've been hearing quite a few complaints with the Realtek onboard seeing sound dropoffs. Most of that is due to trying to run newer gaming along with ocing with onboard sound rather then going for the type of expansion card best suited. Creative has the gamer in mind with the X-FI models as well as multimedia. Microsoft kept that in mind as well in Vista with the EAX simulator. Unfortunately Creative has been slowwww in releasing any updates for the Audigy series however.

Geoff

VIP Member
There is a huge difference with pretty much any Audigy or better sound card, since the onboard is pretty crappy.

PC eye

banned
The only reason I even bother with having onboard here between multimedia, some games, and video capturing is in the event a card simply quits. Until a replacement is installed I simply remove all software and drivers for the card and enable the onboard temporarily. Other then that nada for onboard. For a budget build with nothing but checking the mail? maybe? But for any good sound while newer boards have stepped up sound no thanks!

PC eye

banned
For gaming and multimedia you are not going to top a good model sound card even with the improvements seen with onboard audio chips. One problem continues to resurface with Realtek AC'97 and others where you will suddenly see sound dropoffs. That has been a reoccuring problem for a number of people strictly going with onboard only. Sorry I just have to have those EAX effects ready.