xfx 5970 BE card dying?

dtiao7eb

hello everyone,

Recently i've been playing some battlefield badcompany 2... and i've noticed some maps my screen will go black... but i can still see the mini map ... do you guys think this is a video card problem or i just found a dead spot on the map? also when i try to play starcraft 2 + watch a movie on my blu ray player... the video will freeze and im forced to reboot. i just got a feeling my videocard isn't working at tip top shape :(:confused:

thanks,

david

Bodaggit23

Nice rig. :good:

How can you play a game and watch a bluray at the same time...?

Anyway, sounds to me like an issue with your Physx card, or the way
your system is configured to run it.

joh06937

maybe try running furmark. see if that has any ill effects.

and be sure to post some pics of that rig in the post your computer thread!

dtiao7eb

thanks!

i have two 27" monitors :) well recently i have just been using my 5970 and have been running in to the "black zone" in badcompany 2.... also my FPS in games like starcraft is usually around the 50s... sometimes as low as 38 fps :(

currently i'm running both 27" monitors on my single 5970 with no physx card installed... could that be the problem?

i'll try probably reinstall my physx card and attach the 2nd monitor to the physx card..

sigh why can't everything just be plug and play and work 100% lolz

Bodaggit23

Eh, Physx is an nVidia brand.

I don't think you can use a card for Physx if you have an ATI graphics card...?

dtiao7eb

lol didn't mean to yell? just messin around... its a pain but its suppose to work if u use the older drivers...

dtiao7eb

btw joh... i reread that link u sent me... and i feel like an idoit(arnold voice)....i didn't read the entire site the first time... and i never dl'ed their 1.04ff mod lolz so needless to say i never got my card to run... so i redid everything and now i'm going to run benchmarks again:p

salvage-this

currently i'm running both 27" monitors on my single 5970 with no physx card installed... could that be the problem?

I'm doubting that. I play MW2 on my main display and have my tv going on my secondary display. I still get 85+ fps on my 4850. That should be no problem for your 5970.

joh06937

dtiao7eb

do i use the overvolt tools? u remember ur settings? also do i need to go watercooling if i OC the 5970?:confused:

joh06937

do i use the overvolt tools? u remember ur settings? also do i need to go watercooling if i OC the 5970?:confused:

i personally just crank the fan up to like 80% or so (i am partically deaf so i don't really notice :p). here a screenshot of my settings with msi afterburner:

39239257.png

i wouldn't just got to those settings right away though :p do the normal sequence for oc'ing.

dtiao7eb

do you mean gradually? lol sorry i've never really done ne OCing so still in the learning process

btw do you guys know if the nvidia 8800 gts can or can't play blu ray video?

b/c apparently mine cannot with powerdvd9 T_T it plays great on the monitor with my 5970... but when i slide it over to the monitor with 8800gts LOL black.. T_T maybe i'll upgrade my nvidia card a little... ne suggestions? or should i just crossfire with a cheaper 5000 series ati card... suggestions?