XFX 680i vs XFX 780i

sorry i meant evga not XFX (so its evga 680i or evga 780i)

i can change the make of mobo i wanna buy it it has any big advantage to XFX mobo's

mobos i have been lookign at are
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188013
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188024&Tpk=evga+780i
hi i am wondering what is better 680i or the 780i? i will be using my new mobo for mainly gaming and video converting

price isn't really a problem for me
i am wanting to place 2x1gb 6400 (800mhz) ram with a
Q6600 quad core
2 8800gt ( i don't wanna use 3 way sli just 2 way)
750W thermal take power unit

i will be placing this all into a antec 900 so plenty of cooling :D

the information i would like to know is:

1: what over clocks better?
2:what is more future proof
3: what is more stable?
4: what is over all more popular to gamers and buyers

ill think of any more points as posts go on :)

thanks again for all the replies

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
If price isn't a problem, then go with either the 780i or 790i, as they are much newer, support the 45nm processors natively, and are overall better.

[-0MEGA-];993401 said:
If price isn't a problem, then go with either the 780i or 790i, as they are much newer, support the 45nm processors natively, and are overall better.

do they overclock better?

so whats better 780i or the 790i? :p
the only diff between the 780i and 790i that i found was that 790i uses ddr3 and as i heard there isnt much diff from ddr2 at the moment

Last edited:

lovely?

your exactly right. but then again, if you dont really mind spending the $200 more then ddr3 IS better. just not by much.

hmm i think ill keep my $200 lol and wait for ddr3 to improve before upgrading
what mother board out of the three overclock better or higher

are the Intel P45 also called x48 mother boards?
are the Intel p45 better then Nvidia 780i mother boards? also would you mind giving me a link to a p45 mother board? if so in what way are they better?

what might the ATI 4870 perform like compared to Nvidia ? will they be better then a 8800gt?

thanks

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
are the Intel P45 also called x48 mother boards?
are the Intel p45 better then Nvidia 780i mother boards? also would you mind giving me a link to a p45 mother board? if so in what way are they better?

what might the ATI 4870 perform like compared to Nvidia ? will they be better then a 8800gt?

thanks
There is the P35, X38, and X48. The X48 are the newest from Intel, and they are great motherboards as well (I prefer them). The real decision maker between the two is if SLI or Crossfire are important to you, because the 7 series only supports SLI, and the X38/X48 only support Crossfire.

if the x48 are better then ill prob buy one and just go with ati for the future graphics cards
is the x48 mother board a good over clocker? how high could i get the Q6600 b3 on it with a scythe mugan air cooler

is it true that with cross fireX u can use diff ati graphics cards together? like a 3870 used with a diff model?
i only have one 8800gt atm as i canceled my order for another 8800gt

Geoff

VIP Member
if the x48 are better then ill prob buy one and just go with ati for the future graphics cards
is the x48 mother board a good over clocker? how high could i get the Q6600 b3 on it with a scythe mugan air cooler

is it true that with cross fireX u can use diff ati graphics cards together? like a 3870 used with a diff model?
i only have one 8800gt atm as i canceled my order for another 8800gt
Yes the X48's are good overclockers. I had the P35 (lower end model), and got my Q6600 up to 3.6GHz on air and 3.85GHz on water.

With Crossfire X, yes you can use two different models, however the fastest card will only run twice as fast as the slowest card. So having a 3870 and a 3450 would not be wise.

[-0MEGA-];994254 said:
Yes the X48's are good overclockers. I had the P35 (lower end model), and got my Q6600 up to 3.6GHz on air and 3.85GHz on water.

With Crossfire X, yes you can use two different models, however the fastest card will only run twice as fast as the slowest card. So having a 3870 and a 3450 would not be wise.

nice sounds like im going ati for the rest of my builds and intel chip set :) thanks alot for the information

what do you mean by the fastest card will only run twice as fast as the slowest card?
does the system overclock the fastest card to be twice as fast as the slowest card?
can the fastest card only run up to twice as fast as the slowest card so bottle necking the card?

sorry if this topic has changed abit sicne the start but i dont wanna spam new topics asking about ati cards and x48 mobos

Geoff

VIP Member
nice sounds like im going ati for the rest of my builds and intel chip set :) thanks alot for the information

what do you mean by the fastest card will only run twice as fast as the slowest card?
does the system overclock the fastest card to be twice as fast as the slowest card?
can the fastest card only run up to twice as fast as the slowest card so bottle necking the card?

sorry if this topic has changed abit sicne the start but i dont wanna spam new topics asking about ati cards and x48 mobos
I believe that just means that if you had two mismatched cards, the performance will not exceed two times that of the slower card.

So if you had a 3850 and a 3870, the performance will be no more then having two 3850's. So it can be done (having two different cards), but it's pointless having a high end card and a slower card.