XFX geforce 6600 pci-e crashes!!

rohith

Hi guys!
I recently bought a new pc with the following specs:

win xp pro 2002 sp2
intel 915GAV chipset motherboard
intel pentium 4 HT 3.0 ghz "gransdale"
cd combo drive(cd rom, cd r, cd rw)
XFX Geforce 6600 PCX graphics card(256 mb ddr 100Mhz)
512 mb ddr ram
80 gb seagate baracuda hard drive
56k modem
multimedia keyboard and mouse(Logitech)
Philips 1500W Speakers
17" Samsung monitor
3.5" floppy drive(sony)

Well the problem is , whenever i put high stress on my graphics card like when playing fifa 2004 or comanche 4, my system crashes and it restarts.
also as it is about to crash i get some sort of loud noise from the cpu like someone is using a chainsaw. At times the whole table starts to shake.
(maybe it has something to do with the extra fan that the comp builder put from another case). when i play games like nfs ug 1 or f1 2002 , i get the same noise but the system remains stable and there is no loss of graphics quality)

I installed nvidias latest drivers(forceware 71.89) but no good(initially i was running them with 66.81)

Could someone please help me!!!
Thanks!!! :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. What temperatures are you looking at (CPU, MOBO, GPU)
2. Cromewell makes a good point abou te insufficient power on the PSU. Take a look at http://www.computerforum.com/showthread.php?t=10764 to see how to understand PSU ratings and stuff
3. Also on the line of the power supply, have a look at the voltage stability: to do so look for a tool called MBM5
4. Could it be the GPU fan rattling thats causing the noise (and then resulting unreliable cooling platform)

rohith

Well when i was telling you all this i had my air con as well as my 1500W speakers on as well as the fan and light in my room on.(Hey, i live in chennai you know) and that was when i had a lot of problems. well, today i tried these
games with all this stuff switched off and my comp wasnt crashing any more (but i still had that annoying noise). I guess you're right Praetor about the power and in reply to your question, well im looking at gpu temps. Oh and I have a UPS and whenever i run some 3d applications it makes wierd noises like its switching on and off. :confused: