Xfx geforce 9800gt 512mb?

spirit

Staff member
The 9800 GT would probably be OK for a lower resolution screen, but for higher resolutions, you'll likely need something a bit more powerful. The 9800 GTs are quite old now. I have a 9800 GT in my Q8300 rig and it plays Dirt 3 on high at 1280x1024 at a good 40-50 FPS, but up the resolution and it just crumbles.

M1kkelZR

Yeah this would Run SC2 and D3. Just If I were you I'd get a more high end card though. maybe a 9800GTX a bit faster, and more awesome in my eyes,

spirit

Staff member
I agree with Raz, even something like a second hand GTX 260 or Radeon 4870 would be better. I have a feeling you're on a budget right, hence why you're looking at older cards?

jonnyp11

I agree with Raz, even something like a second hand GTX 260 or Radeon 4870 would be better. I have a feeling you're on a budget right, hence why you're looking at older cards?

Those wouldn't work with his current psu though

I wouldn't buy that card for that much though, it's pretty old and not super strong, not worth 65 to me, not sure how it compares to a 6570 though.

spirit

Staff member
jonnyp11 said:
True, but he'd likely have to upgrade his PSU as well to run a 9800 GT. His current PSU is really too weak for any kind of dedicated graphics card really.

M1kkelZR

I wouldn't buy that card for that much though, it's pretty old and not super strong, not worth 65 to me, not sure how it compares to a 6570 though.

No for 65 I wouldnt get it, for 65 you can get a way better card, but a new PSU is needed in anyway.

True, but he'd likely have to upgrade his PSU as well to run a 9800 GT. His current PSU is really too weak for any kind of dedicated graphics card really.

This.

esheena1

thanks everyone...it was between that and a used hd radeon 6870 which i wanted to stay away from because i didnt feel like buying a psu but i guess its clear that i have to. And yes i am on budget of around 100. I appreciate everyones input!

Last edited:

jonnyp11

you can get a good psu for around 50 that can run a decent card, like a used GTS250 or something which can be around 50 on ebay, and it's actually a 9800GTX+

M1kkelZR

Indeed. Would work better that way. especially if your own that budget. the GTS250 is not bad at all anyway, and for 40-50 you can get a good psu as Jonny said. Just make sure it is a good brand not a piece of poo :p

spirit

Staff member
thanks everyone...it was between that and a used hd radeon 6870 which i wanted to stay away from because i didnt feel like buying a psu but i guess its clear that i have to. And yes i am on budget of around 100. I appreciate everyones input!
Between a 6870 and a 9800 GT the 6870 would pretty much own! Yeah you'd still have to get a new PSU, but given the choice, it'd be the 6870 every time for me. Waaayyy more futureproof too.

M1kkelZR

Yeah, that is true with futureproofing. Lets give DX an example. the 9800GT doesn't support it for gaming, but the 6870 does. And gives a higher Graphics score on the WEI for the people who like that.

spirit

Staff member
Raz3rD said:
Lets give DX an example. the 9800GT doesn't support it for gaming, but the 6870 does.
The 9800 GT supports DX10 which is fine for games which were made like a few years ago and older, but you want a 6870 for the newer games as it supports DX11 which is what all the new games are using.

Raz3rd said:
And gives a higher Graphics score on the WEI for the people who like that.
Yeah I never consider the WEI as a serious benchmark (who would? :p) but just for reference the 9800 GT scores 6.8 on the WEI and the 6870 scores 7.8 I think, so there's a big difference there. :D

Overall, the 6870 is just the better card. Newer, faster, supports latest technologies and it runs cooler.