Xfx pro edition 550w psu

klor

So this is my first time getting a new psu and installing it and
after installing everything the psu fan doesn't spin as fast. I can
stick my finger between the grill and stop the fan from spinning easily.
Plus when I feel the backside of the psu it gets pretty warm. Any
help or idea? I have it on the top not the bottom of my case.
Also it has 2x4 pin for the psu fan and my MB only has 1x4 pin connector..
is that a factor why my psu fan doesn't ramp up speed when it gets warm?

Last edited:

jonnyp11

Fan motors are not very strong, it is spinning very fast, but will be stopped easily by anything, and i'm pretty sure stopping it is a bad idea, it might mess ut up. Also it should be warm, why would it need the fan at all if it didn't need cool air pushed through it to cool it down. making sense now?

klor

Fan motors are not very strong, it is spinning very fast, but will be stopped easily by anything, and i'm pretty sure stopping it is a bad idea, it might mess ut up. Also it should be warm, why would it need the fan at all if it didn't need cool air pushed through it to cool it down. making sense now?

Yea but my older one didn't even get close to warm on the backside and
this one gets super warm.

linkin

VIP Member
If you feel it's faulty, return to the place of purchase, or contact XFX support. It might have a bad fan controller. Normally they increase the fan speed with temperature.

jonnyp11

Yea but my older one didn't even get close to warm on the backside and
this one gets super warm.

What was your old one? if it was the one that came with the computer then it's almost guarenteed that it was a junky, low quality one, and only had half the amount of watts on the lablel, and really had closer to a 1/4 the watts. a higher wattage psu would get a little warm, if it just feels like warm air there should be nothing wrong really, don't quote that though. But if you hold your hand to it for a few secs and it's like burning then there is possibly something wrong.

klor

So the backside being a little warm is okay? Plus it doesn't feel like
the fan turns up when it's getting warm...dam don't feel like sending
it back to wait for another one=( Oh and the psu has 2 four pin connecters
for the psu fan should i be plugging in both or just one?