XP blue screen?

Geoff

VIP Member
whats with the windows xp blue screen? i thought XP was only suppose to reboot if theres a problem, not show an error screen. The message has a whole explanation of the proplam, its basically a FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA or something like that. And it says on the bottom, Dumping phsyical memory to disk. This isnt really a problem, just wanted to know if anyone else has this problem also.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I have software for my TI 89 calculator... and every so often I get the blue screen of death... it tells me to go to Texas Instruments' website and fix the problem... But I dont.... So I have to hold the power button for 10 seconds and wait < 5 minutes for the computer to reboot.... Im not that impatient! (Unless it involves my car and the elderly driving in front of me....)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
jbrown456 said:
Software for a calculator??? whats next??? plugs on lamps??? Butter On Bread???

Hey, I did my first programming (BASIC) on a TI 89 calculator (created a crazy sports program that had everything from updatable stats and scores for the NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS and NHL - this was years before the current NHL situation... to trivia games and a complete history of all the major US sports.....)

It got me hooked on programming.... and now, 8 years later Im a real programmer.. making good money! (at least on Monday... thats my first day!)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
geoff5093 said:
Thats not relevent to the topic, lol

Your right..... :eek:

anyway, XP is a lot more stable than previous Windows OS's.. but no software is bug free.

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
that's a memory fault, either program caused or bad memory caused. Does it happen only when you do certain things or does it happen randomly? if random, you'll want to run memtest86, if not random unistall the program related.

Geoff

VIP Member
It does is when i do different things, it hasnt happened for a while, but it does occur randomly.

geoff5093 said:
It does is when i do different things, it hasnt happened for a while, but it does occur randomly.

Yeah i had this wiv my pc it was my cpu it had burned out ...look at the CPU For signs of burning ..and buy a new cpu and mines been fine since

geoff5093 said:
whats with the windows xp blue screen? i thought XP was only suppose to reboot if theres a problem, not show an error screen.

Dont make me laugh ,everyone know windows has a Blue Screen of Death OMG ...errm

Customer :sir my pc bringing a blue screen up and im using windows XP
Help Asst ::erm Sir all windows Bring a Blue Screen up ....
Customer :Well i dont know the colour blue to the Colour red ..
Help Asst : Well Get a Colour Moniter ....
Customer :Well im using a Black and White ...12inch moniter ....
Help Asst: Lol's
Customer: Well my Pc is a Amd Proccessor with 512mb Ram and 6600gt card ..{not ur pc just one i made up}
Help Asst :well Your Moniter is shit ...Get a Colour one there better ....

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
download memtest86, you can make a floppy or a cd, they are bootable and the program starts right away, let it run through a full pass or two, if you have bad memory it will show up. If not, then it very well may be your processor, however, memory craps out alot more often then a processor will. :)

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You can make XP not automatically restart by turning off the auto restart on error, which is probably why you are actually seeing the blue screen (I prefer seeing it, rather than having to read the stupid memory dump)

Control Panel - System icon - Advanced tab - Startup/Recovery - Settings button
Under System Failure - Automatically Restart Checkbox

Byteman said:
download memtest86, you can make a floppy or a cd, they are bootable and the program starts right away, let it run through a full pass or two, if you have bad memory it will show up. If not, then it very well may be your processor, however, memory craps out alot more often then a processor will. :)

Well its a Waste of a CD

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
well theres a fair bit of extra space but since cdrs are cheaper than floppies it's not really a waste

Geoff

VIP Member
i always think that, putting a file thats only a few mb on a cd is wasteful, but when you think of it, cd's are much cheaper, i got 100cd-r's for about $3 before. anyways, thanks for your help on this topic.

BishBosh

(I prefer seeing it, rather than having to read the stupid memory dump)
Ouch!
I go for the memory.dmp every time !!
Using the right symbol files and windbg.exe then type !analyze -v what went wrong is a breeze to find. :cool:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
yes, but I can't be bothered to open the file :p, the blue screen report, 9/10 has everything you need to know.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Bsod!

I have had one BSOD since my new installation which was caused by Kerio Personal Firewall. With my previous installation of Windows XP, these were caused by FAT32.sys. Otherwise, they usually mean that something serious happened. If random and unpredictable it usually points to RAM.

JAN :D