XP Cannot Boot -Out of Range-

rayokeefe

Win XP SP2 - system was acting strange for a while now, one thing i remember is i tried several times to restore system to an earlier time but each time after it went thru the process i got an error msg that it could not be restored to the date i chose. i had many restore points but none worked. then later on boot up after XP Logo screen the screen went black with a small message stating "Out Of Range", H.Freq 9.5HZ H. Freq 5.9Hz. i decided to use the HP System Recovery Disks to format and start over. all went well until windows was restarted after setting up when the same "Out of Range" message returned. i then booted into safe mode and changed the screen resolution, Couldn't change anything else. On the Adapter screen the Monitor Type reads " Default"(only choice) - the screen refresh rate is -Default (only choice) On the Monitor\ General- Screen Device Type "non-plug & play" Manufacturer- unknown Location "unknown" I'm now in the process of doing the system recovery format thing using a new set of system Recovery Disks from Hewlitt Packard but i'm not very confident of sucess. hoping someone has an idea of where the trouble is lurking

P.S. Computer is HP XP Media Center Edition 2005 - Monitor is View Sonic
LCD Model VX2235wm LCD Display

PohTayToez

Have you tried using a different monitor? I could be that is the problem, and not the PC at all. Also, just for giggles, you might reset the BIOS and see if that does anything. Since the issue is still happening after a full restore, it would be more likely a hardware or firmware issue than a software issue.