XP Firewall on or off?

da5176

I've been using the firewall from Computer Associates EZ firewall. I've had nothing but trouble with it. My internet connection will sometimes not let my browser connect but will let other programs update themselves. To fix I just turn off the firewall and turn it back on and everything is fine. I got tired of doing that, and after talking to customer support and doing various things to fix the problem I switched to the free version of Zone Alarm for my firewall. The problem is there again. I think the 2 firewalls are the same because they look and opperate the same. My question is this, I have had my XP firewall turned on. I turned it off just now and wondered if this is a good idea or not? I'm running ZA alone which should be fine, right?:confused: Could the XP firewall have been causing the problem? Thanks

terii

It is possible that it may have caused your problem. It is commonly acceptable to run two firewalls at the same time with no problems. Turn Windows XP firewall off and see if it cures the problem. If so you have answered your own question.

da5176

Still have my firewall problem. After the computer lock has been engaged for a few hours, then disengaged, I can't get on the internet. I get a window that says it can't find the server. If I shut down ZA and turn it back on, Then I can get on the internet. This is a pain in the a_ _! Anybody got any ideas what's wrong?

Last edited: