XP Firewall Shuts Off when Zonealarm Instl

leo

I downloaded XP Service Pack 2 and Activated the Firewall, as I have read that this Firewall was pretty good. I also had been told that another Firewall installed would not be a bad idea.

I did not find or see any updates for the Firewall, so I also installed the Zone Alarm (freeby) Firewall.

After going on the internet things appeared to be working, re Zone Alarm. I had no idea what the XP SP2 Firewall was doing while I was on the internet, as no boxes popped up asking for permission for this or that program access to the internet. I am using AOL as my ISP.

I got off the internet and went back to the XP SP2 activation box and discovered that it was turned Off. I Activated it again and went back onto the internet. Then I went back and found that the XP SP2 Firewall was turned off again.

I don't see any settings/options in Zone Alarm that either rejects or permits the XP SP2 Firewall. I don't know if Zone Alarm is causing this XP SP2 Firewall to be turned off or not.

Does any one know what may be happening here? OR Any suggestions as what to do next.

I would appreciate any input. :confused:

Hellbreather

Leo I don't know where you that having two firewalls is a good thing, but it isn't, it slows up your connection speed and some websites wont be displayed.

So I suggest you stick with the Zone Alarm Firewall as SP2's Firewall sucks anyway. Half the programs that connect it wont ask for your permission.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
leo, if you have a network dont go with zonealarm, unless you go with zonealarm pro, which you have to buy. go with sygate personal firewall instead

leo

Thanks for inputs. I am new to this forum and so far find this forum to be very informative.

Re; Firewall issue, I thought that one of the XP SP2 touts was the 'extra' protection to be provided thru the Firewall.

I was concerned about what was shutting off the XP SP2 Firewall, and thought by having two firewalls in place I would have 'extra' protection.

I do not have a 'network', but will check out sygate.

In the past I typically used Norton and did not have any issues with it. However, I thought that I could just download SP2 and then not have to purchase a Firewall, and just use a 'freeby' (Zone Alarm) for extra protection.

I may just leave it turned off; XP Firewall; and rely upon Zone Alarm, if I don't find another Firewall out there that is easier, or more effective to use.

Last edited:

Hellbreather

I agree leave SP2's Firewall off and SP3 isn't that much better anyway. I use NPF(Norton Personal Firewall) 05 which works fine for me so I just turned off the Windows firewall.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
if you havent got a network stick with the free edition of zonealarm. before i had a network i used zonealarm and it worked fine