XP Help Please!

99thompson

Hi people,

I have recently installed Window XP Professional on my desktop. My computer is over the minimum requirements but my computer runs ever so slow. When i run programs, it takes forever to load up and even accessing My Computer takes a while. It has a 500Mhz AMD K6 processor, around 380 MB Ram, (basically it has everything over the minimum requirements). I dont understand! What should i do?

Thanks, Andy!

double-dragon

minimise your settings so you have low usage on graphics etc. dont have any fancy desktop backgrounds and only run 1/2 progs at a time :p
WMP takes up loads of memory...just for the record :D

4W4K3

VIP Member
99thompson said:
Hi people,

I have recently installed Window XP Professional on my desktop. My computer is over the minimum requirements but my computer runs ever so slow. When i run programs, it takes forever to load up and even accessing My Computer takes a while. It has a 500Mhz AMD K6 processor, around 380 MB Ram, (basically it has everything over the minimum requirements). I dont understand! What should i do?

Thanks, Andy!

i gave my sister same exact computer (from given specs) and she is running on XP Pro SP2. I dunno what to say man...that is just a generally all around slow computer. I have disabled probably 80% of the background apps/services, gave her minimum gfx and XP "sparkiles" junk, tweaked is as much as i could even put in 2 extra fans to keep it cool...it's still really slow.

if you can...maybe get a P3 600E machine...keep ur RAM and all that. It's alot faster and they are relatively cheap, i got one out of the garbage that works:)

99thompson

I wud say around half a minute to load My Computer! The thing is that my mates computer is running at 500 Mhz and is lightning fast! I dont understand! I am starting to consider the speed of my hard drives that might be the problem??? Any Ideas!

wensk

You can never go wrong with more memory if your pc can handle it. 380 is still pretty much minimum. 512 should be the minimum for XP IMHO. Check task manager and see where your memory is being used.

KillermilleR

i agree with the fact that ur running an very old an slow processor and results like that would be expected with windows xp, what is your hard drive rpm, if your hard drive is old also and slow, it would be contributing to your list of problems too. Check your task manager, use google to get info on any unfamilar process!!

A_A_68

banned
get rid of all your crap use spybot a friend of mine has a computer much worse than that and i gave him xp pro sp1a few days ago and it's runing fine ( but he doesn't have the internet so he has no crap on his computer )

Darpan

chill man, thing is ur using a slow comp. even do i,
try minimizing resources as in graphics and virtual memory, animations etc.
then scan ur xomp. thorough and then finally defragment...tht will help aloooooot,

try using it...

den free up a bit of space in ur hard drive...

i hope it will works as it worked on my comp also...

Darpan