XP home > XP pro

tnt27

hey everyone

im goin to put XP pro on my comp from XP home. i dnt want to uninstall anything or remove everything just install XP pro.

with things like Service Pack 2, M$ Office activation, drivers etc will i have to re-install them again? since i do not want to delete everything?

IPXP

I couldnt say for sure but, I'd say it would be a case of putting in your Pro disk and click upgrade and I think it will keep all your settings/files etc.

Just like upgrading from 98/ME which I did over the weekend and kept all my original settings.

tnt27

system restore?

thanks for the reply IPXP. is it possible to create a system restore point now on home, then if something goes rong with the installation (installation or file back up) could i go back to that system point?

Byteman

Malware Destroyer
system restore won't do that 100%. It only does registry stuff and certian system and program exe's/dll's. XP pro will install entire capabilities for corporate networking and such.

Why do you want to upgrade? are you going to use that computer on a server based network?

tnt27

icons

thanks for the replies, well this is a Packard Bell computer, which came with windows xp home, but i have Xp pro on cd, and the only reason i want to upgrade is cause the icons on my computer sucks (lame excuse but hey) like on the right of the taskbar, where antispyware, AVG antivirus, volume control etc icons lay, all the icons are fuzzy as hell. also in start>turnoff, the icons are very fuzzy also. this might seem like a stupid reason to install, but i find the fuzzy really annoying, and not only in icons, it happens wen like ur installing an application the picture that comes up like 'half-life 2' or something else is fuzzy also.if this is possible to fix, there is no need in re-installing. to give u a better idea, the things i have mentioned look like the icons in safe mode. i have tried resizing etc nothing has worked.. any ideas? will post pics to show wat i mean

Last edited:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
You have prob. already checked but... Have you checked your colour settings? Fuzzy icons are not a windows XP home bug. I would check all video settings, try updating your video drivers and checking your refresh rates and colour settings etc. Also curious, was it always like this? or did it develop this fuzzy icon problem after installing anything particular?

tnt27

thanks for the reply blue, well i thought of installing pro,so mayb it could go away, and yes it has always been like this, since the first day the pc was bought in late '03. i have updated drivers, i have a nVidia 6600Gt (i have used forceware and omega)

the things i have tried are:

drivers ^
GPU (Ati and nVidia)
Monitor (CRT and LCD)
Screen resolutions (a lot of them)
icon size
refresh rates
colour quality

any suggestions ? :confused:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Have you checked DPI settings?

Right click desktop and properties, Settings, Advanced, Under General you'll see your DPI setting. try a different one.

tnt27

Yes!

omg thanks a lot blue, in the end the DPI settings was the problem, they were set 25% their normal size... got it back to 96 and it works perfectly, no more annoying fuzzy icons!! thanks a loT!

AMDCam

Yeah, Windows sucks like that. Usually monitor and graphics card software change the DPI, and I think sometimes windows. But yeah, it's annoying and doesn't give as much detail.