XP install problem on new machine

fridge

Hi all, just found the forum. and i have to say looks good, i like the constant discussion on topics. :D

if this is in the wrong section i appologise, but i could not see a tech section. :)

Just wanted to know if anyone could help out on this issue;
i just bought a new case; P4 3.0GHz; 512MB duel channel RAM; MSI 865PE Neo2-P signiture mother board. The shop i bought it from installed it all for me. Ok, so now i got home and put in a CDWR Drive a floppy drive, and my 40G seagate HD, oh yeah my solid as a rock MSI GF4 MMX440 64MB AGP vid card, lol.

Now it all seems fine, but when i did the clean install of WINXP all seemed to be going fine, untill right at the end. At this stage i got an error msg as follows;

A problem has been detected with windows and has been shutdown to prevent damage to your computer

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps;

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the driver manufactureer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disabble BIOS memory options suchas caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced start up options, and then select safe mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x80566FDC, 0xF7EB5BC8, 0x00000000)

Begining dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.
Contact you system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

ok, if i let it try to boot from the HD, it starts the XP install from the section where you put in your name and the key etc. If I try a clean install again from the start the same thing happens i.e. the full install then the error at the end. I've been reading the manual (for the MSI motherboard) etc. and im pretty sure its one of the BIOS settings, thats just a hunch, but i cant find which one.

So if anyone can shed a bit of light on the subject feel free to enlighten me. This is not an urgent cry for help as i can call the shop tomorrow but I thought i'd run it by you guys.

Cheers
:cool:

Tapir

Check for correct memory population. MSI has a specific instruction in the manual. Also make sure your bios is set to default settings. You can tweak after you complete your installation.
You did not mention what mem you have in but make sure it is the correct one. This can be checked also against their manual.

Had this problem myself with an MSI board and it was all memory issues.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Check for correct memory population. MSI has a specific instruction in the manual.
Gosh MSI has some really *wierd* memory issues (to my dismay) .. well worth a look over :)

fridge

the memory is 2x256MB Kingston Duel Channel PC 3200. Could you please clarify what checking for correct memory population means?

When ordering the parts at the shop, we looked up the kingston memory and it was supposed to be OK for the board.

I'll try setting my BIOS to default settings and see what happens.

Cheers

fridge

Hmm, ok. at the beggining it says the memory is duel channel etc. in linear mode is this a bad thing. The dimms are installed in the 1st slots of the A and B ports.

I'll have a look at the single channel mode, will this mean i have to move the second dimm from the 1st slot on the B side to the 2nd slot on the A side?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, ok. at the beggining it says the memory is duel channel etc. in linear mode is this a bad thing
No actually a good thing; the reason im suggestion you goto single channel is to potentially avoid problems with dual channel setups (which are more finicky)

I'll have a look at the single channel mode, will this mean I have to move the second dimm from the 1st slot on the B side to the 2nd slot on the A side?
Something like that .... you'll have to read ur manual