XP Installation Question

Floppy2

I just installed XP Home Edition (first time, first PC build) using an OEM CD.

When I finished the installation and did a restart it came up with a new hardware found box finding a 'multimedia audio controller' the wizard box asked me to 'search' for software for this item.

I don't know what this is? I tried a few things, but I didn't really know what I was looking for.

Re; 'Audio'. I installed my sound blaster live! 5.1 card software and I have sound.

I went to the device manager and saw that it shows a 'yellow' question mark on multimedia audio controller.

I was wondering if this will hurt my system without a multimedia audio controller, or what? :confused:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It could be an onboard sound controller or part of the sound blaster live!, they tend to have 5+ different device listings in the manager.

fachim

Usually, yellow question mark showing an alert that your hardware not working proerly or there are conflict with another which windows will showing you how it can become conflict.
otherwise, please check your driver, if it is original driver for the device. if not, try to find the original driver for Windows XP from that device vendor or it's official website.

ofgen

fachim is absolutely right... yellow question mark or red exclamation sign occured in the device manager...
to solve this problem you gotta install the drivers that is involved in mainboard CD of course if your sound card is integrated...

Floppy2

Thanks guys for all the inputs.

I checked my BIOS and the on board sound is enabled, but I am using a sound blaster live 5.1 installation.

I noticed that I had two yellow question marks for the multimedia audio controller and once I did the re installation one of them went away.

I guess it's possible that having the on board sound enable in the BIOS may be causing the second yellow question mark.

My sound is great and I'll just let the other yellow question mark remain, as I do not see or hear anything that would be a problem at this time.

Have a great Memorial Day everyone. :cool: