xp loads but no icons

robina_80

hi guys, long time not been here anyway,

ive got an LG LS70 express laptop and its running windows xp, when i power it up goes past the bios and then i have to choose the operating system i want to load

windows xp home
windows xp professional

and on the back of the laptop tis got stuck on the genuine windows sticker and that says xp home, so i select the xp home option, but i really dont know what one top choose as its my mates laptop and he doesnt know to save his life so im lost there

anyway it loads windows, it says welcome as its starting up then loads the desktop and nothing else no icons, no taskbar, cant even press ctrl alt del, any help????

mtb211

Have you tried to boot to safe mode?

Click F8 after bios boots, if you can log in with safe mode.. Run malwarebytes

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Does both pro and home do this? If this wasn't setup as a dual boot then the best thing to do would be to back up any data he needs and format and reinstall windows.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said before, best bet now would be to backup any data by slaving the hard drive to another system and then deleting current partitions, repartition, reinstall windows.

jhooga

boot to safe mode in both partitions separately and run malwarebytes, this happened to me before and that seemed to fix my problem, or if there is more than one user on those partitions try logging in as another user, or the admin

mtb211

boot to safe mode in both partitions separately and run malwarebytes, this happened to me before and that seemed to fix my problem, or if there is more than one user on those partitions try logging in as another user, or the admin

Didnt I say that earlier ;)

haha yeah I think that will be the fix :good::good::good: