XP on older vaio problem.(probably simple)

50trimtsi

Hi guys, I was hoping someone could lend a little advice. I got a free sony vaio laptop model PCG-F180 (the specs will be at the bottom). I used to have windows 98 on it and was able to play dvd's fine. Now that I have put XP on it the movie plays slow and sound glitches. I use powerdvd. I am wondering if programs will run slower too and basic emulator do for sure as I tested those. My question is whether or not this could simply be due to the low 64MB of RAM on this system and using the more demanding OS? Any help would be greatly appreciated and again the computer specs are as follows: Thanks again!!

Sony Vaio PCG-F180
Processor - Pentium 2 Processor, 333mhz

Cache - 256 KB Integrated On-Die Level 2

Bus Architecture - PCI

LCD - 14.1" XGA Active Matrix LCD (1024 x 768)

Graphics - NeoMagic MagicMedia 256AV with 2.5 MB Video RAM and 128 bit Accelerator, Direct 3D and MPEG Acceleration

Digital Audio - 3D Stereo, 16 bit playback and record, Software Wavetable MIDI Synthesizer, MPEG

MPEG - MPEG1 and MPEG2 Digital Video, Supports Full Screen Playback

Standard RAM - 64 MB SDRAM, expandable to 192 MB

Hard Drive - 4.3 GB

DVD-ROM Drive - 2x max. fixed DVD-ROM drive with DVD movie playback capability

Floppy Disk Drive - Removable 1.44 MB, 3.5" Internal Operation, Floppy disk drive bay also supports second rechargeable battery when floppy drive is removed

Modem - V.90 Modem

Pointing Device - Digital Touch Pad

Speakers - Built-in Stereo Speakers

Microphone - Built-in

Battery - Lithium-Ion Battery, Supports Dual Battery Operation

Maximum Battery Life - 3.5 hours (with one battery), 7 hours (with optional second battery)

PC card slots - Supports Two PCMCIA Type 2 Cards or one Type 3 Card, Card Bus Support

InfraRed - Supports 4 Mbps , 1.1 Mbps and 115 kbps IrDA Standard

Other Interface - Serial Port, Printer Port, VGA Monitor, PS/2, Keyboard/Mouse, USB (x1), RJ-11 Phone Jack, i.LINK (IEEE-1394) S200 Interface, Mic-In, Headphone,

Power Requirements - 65 Watts Maximum (19.5V DC / AC100-240V)

Power Management - Energy Star Compliant, ACPI Compatible

Size (W X H X D) - 12.8" X 1.6" X 10.5"

Weight - 6.8 lbs. (with weight saver in floppy drive bay), 7.3 lbs. (with floppy drive in floppy drive bay)

Supplied Accessories - Rechargeable Battery, AC Adapter, Weight Saver

Geoff

VIP Member
You should not put XP on that laptop, it doesnt even meet required specs. I would go with win 98. WinXP requires at least 128mb ram, around a 333Mhz cpu, and you should have a much larger hard drive than 4.3GB.

50trimtsi

Well what about if I bought a 128MB Ram stick and added it to the cpu. Do you think that would help solve the issue with dvd playback and emulators being slow "laggy". Or still no. I cant get windows 98 to work right on the install now. Once I did put it back on I couldnt set the screen to read 1024 X 768 or the color quality but that could be do to not selecting monitor and keeping it on default maybe? The reason I ask is this laptop will strictly be for portable dvd player, playing NES and SNES emulators and running car scan tool equipment. Thanks. Matt

shupola

Well what about if I bought a 128MB Ram stick and added it to the cpu. Do you think that would help solve the issue with dvd playback and emulators being slow "laggy".

it would probably help.