Xp Pro Or Win2k Advice Plz

XP PRO or WIN2K PRO with my computer specs? Thanks

• Windows XP Professional

Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Windows 2000 Professional

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

integra144

Hi. I am new. Here is my dilemma I hope you guys can give me advice on.

So I have a Gateway E- 3400 Desktop
1GHZ
512 MB Ram
52x24x52x CD/DVD

I can either run Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP Professional. Which would you recommend? I am looking for Speed and Stability in use. Start up time does not matter to me as I barely shut the computer off. I primarily use this computer for work, Office, AIM, Internet Browsing/ Research and very light gaming like Midtown Madness.

I can either run Office 2003 or Office 2000 PRO.

So which OS or combination of Office would best suite me. I am looking for speed and stability? Also would Windows 2000 be out of date and incompatible now? And is Windows 2000 not secure being older?

Thanks All Feedback would be GREAT.

Last edited:
Windows XP is now the norm, and Windows 2k has been being phased out for quite some time, so I recommend getting Windows XP Professional. What version is the Office 2003 you'd be using?

I have Office 2003 Teacher and Student Edition. The last time I used Win XP Pro before I reformated becasue I hit CTRL ALT DELTE since my computer was lagging. It said some svchost.exe SYSTEM had a mem usuage in the 70000 to the 90000. Is that normal? then sometimes it would go back to normal?

Last edited:
I have Office 2003 Teacher and Student Edition. The last time I used Win XP Pro before I reformated becasue I hit CTRL ALT DELTE since my computer was lagging. It said some svchost.exe SYSTEM had a mem usuage in the 70000 to the 90000. Is that normal? then sometimes it would go back to normal?

XP isn't going to be blazingly fast, but it will definitely run on your computer.

XP should run just fine on that system. I have it on a PIII 733 with 512M RAM and it does pretty well. 2000 would run much smoother, but a few programs won't run in 2000. So far, the only one I've found is Premiere Pro, but I'm sure there are more out there that wont.

As for Office, those numbers probably are about right. I mean Firefox is currently using 42,000 :p And I've seen game's and Photoshop take up gigs!

XP would run soo much better on that system, and start-up wayyy faster, 2000 starts-up soo damn slowww..

I also say use XP. I used a 1Ghz Pentium 3 Coppermine with 512MB RAM for almost a year with XP Pro and it worked fine. Some things were obviously slow, like iTunes.

That machine is now my server.

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I installed windows xp and it works great. somethings are lag like the mouse and menus with the fade effect but I disabled it. Office 2003 works great and web browsing is fine so I am happy.

Thanks

Back