xp pro to 64bit os

funkysnair

VIP Member
can anyone tel me if there is any point in purchasing windows 64bit?

just built a new pc with core2duo e6400 and im wanting to get the best out of it, i know its 64bit chip but im just wondering if it is worth paying £80 for 64bit os or just waiting for viesta?

when is veista happening and how much is it gonna cost, getting itchy fingers towards the buy it now button.....

PC eye

banned
First of all Vista will have 32bit versions as well as 64bit. For the time being you would still be running 32bit apps. There will be five main versions of Vista with the Enterprise, Business, Utimate, Premium, and Basic. The last three are the home user versions with Ultimate seeing a $399- initial price tag. XP 64bit at this point is still geared for business apps mainly.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would just wait for Vista and get the 32Bit version.

I dunno how well games run on Windows x64 though.

agapetos

You know 64 bit is old news and we are all sitting here with 64 bit computrs (I know not ALL of us, but many) and we are still running 32 bit. Even vista is apparently going to be 32 bit and the 64 bit will probably be as little supported as XP 64 bit. That sucks. Why is the transition to 64 bit so freaking slow, when almost any other changes are tossed at us with no delay?

PC eye

banned
The OS never keeps up with the hardwares! (you can't be serious! :eek: ) Look how fast we went from 16bit to usb 2.0 in a few short years of 9X-ME, 2K, and XP. And then one day there was... XP 64bit! (who da waat? :confused: ) Most of us now are running 64bit capable cpus to see almost nothing to run on the 64bit version of Windows. Your favorite game titles are far, far away in a distant... as far as 64bit versions are concerned. Why? :confused: The games have to support more then one and one only OS. 2K-XP has been on the label of the retail packaging for some time now. The next generation of games will likely see XP-Vista required. And then "out of desparation" someone will introduce a beta of a 64bit game and all ... "confusion" breaks out when people start asking "Where's the 64bit games to run on these Windows?". :confused: