XP Setup - Install from CD

thezeppzone

I finally got all the hardware working on my newly built pc, and got all the bios settings right, everything is being read, but now it is tiem to install XP.

I created a setup disk on a cdrw with files from a windows 98 setup disk floppy that has fdisk on it, I just had to do this for my networking class about a week ago, so I know what I am doing. I have a "legal" version of XP SP1. The college mu class is at gets a license from windows for each student in the class for xp, so I burned a disk onto a cdrw as well. I have no floppy, so my drives are set 1 - CDROM, 2 - HD. I let it automatically boot from the cd when it first fires up, but it wont read either of the disks. I simply get "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER" I just don't know why it won't read either. It's a DVD burner, but I mean, I guess, should I try them on a CDR just for grins? *Wishing he had chosen to get a floppy drive right now* Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i let it automatically boot from the CD when it first fires up, but it wont read either of the disks.
see CD/DVD 101, the definition for multispeed. Sounds like you've got an older drive which doesnt like booting (or reading) of RW discs. To get around this problem, burn the CD onto a CDR and try again :)

I just don't know why it won't read either. It's a DVD burner, but I mean, I guess, should I try them on a CDR just for grins?
Ok then, nevermind ... you really should be able to boot off the CDRW.... i would try the CDR anyways ... but my question is: is the CD bootable? (it should be)

??"college mu class is at gets a license from windows"??
lets stay on topic :)
academic licensing.