XP starts to install but fails? Please Help!!

:DEveryone howdy,

I put the XP disk into the drive
It starts to install
Then fails:eek:
Receive an error message 100% of the time:mad:

Tested 12 times

johnb35,
Hello level 25!

voyagerfan99,
Thanks for the reply!

I put XP in.
It goes to the blue screen for the install process.

Here are the error messages that I get. I only get 1 error message per try.
Each time, the error message is different.

eRROR mESSAGES:

1> Error Code 4

2> Error Code 7

3> Error Code 14

4> Unexpected error line 1773

RESULT
Windows will not complete the install. Windows CANNOT "be" installed, nor ANY other OS!!!!!!!!

Captain Kirk

strollin

What are the system specs? If the drive you are attempting to install XP on is a SATA drive then you will get a BS since XP does not contain any SATA drivers. You need to go into the BIOS and change the drive setting to IDE mode instead of AHCI or you could install SATA drivers during the XP install when it prompts you to press F6 to install SCSI drivers. You'll need the drivers for your SATA controller and they will need to be on a floppy disk. Another option is to use nLite to slipstream the SATA drivers into the install disk.

johnb35,
Hello there again. Goin' Global.

"Run memtest"
How would I do this, the UBCD?
This is a 10 hour process.
Is this what I should do?

NOTE: No disk, except for 7.1 has been able to install completely in that system so I don't know how I would do this. 9 CD's and 5 OS disks [Windows and Linux] have not been able to get past the basic load point. This is what I mean by "partial" or "almost boot".

CONCLUSION: How can I run the UBCD [at the moment I can't find it] or any other CD if they are not able to "fully" load? Unless they are like DOS 7.1, whatever that means???????

"partial boot": Gets to the OS splash screen, but returns error message or black screen immediately afterwards, then freezes.

"almost boot": OS install process has commenced. Followed by error message, and failed install.

DIAGNOSTIC REPORT:
It is not the hd, as I have ran the check disk with no errors or bad sectors, and when I switched the hd from C#2 to C#1, I was able to install Windows on it.

NOTE: Yes, it would be a bright idea normally at this point to switch the hd BACK to C#2 and it would be fixed right? Wrong! C#1 and C#2 are two different model computers!!!!!!

Strollin',
C#1: Laptop Dell Latitude D610
C#2: Laptop Compaq Evo N610c

Problem Computer: C#2

"then you will get a BS since XP"
What do you mean by "BS"?

I have an IDE hd. I was wondering what the "press F6 to install SCSI drivers" was all about. And for a second I thought it might be an oportunity for me to try a new method to fix my computer, via an external drive from a USB cord.

I didn't know that you had to have drivers for SATA hd's. Because you don't have to have drivers for regular ATA drives.

Captain Kirk

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
There would be no need for sata drivers as the recovery cd would do that for you if needed. Since you are able to install windows on that hard drive on the other machine, bad hard drive is out of the question. Which leads me to believe its either bad memory or just other hardware issue. Run Memtest86.

http://www.memtest86.com/memtest86-4.0a.iso.zip

Download the zipped iso then unzip it. Use burning software that will burn iso's to disk and then boot to the cd and the test will automatically start running.

If no errors appear after a couple hours then you have other hardware issues.

strollin

"then you will get a BS since XP"
What do you mean by "BS"? ...

Sorry, I should have written BSOD which is a common abbreviation for "Blue Screen of Death" which is the screen Windows displays when it gets an error and can't continue. It's a full blue screen with white text and lots of error numbers.

Strollin,
Hey there.

I got a blue screen months ago for my video card, but did not know how to repair the situation, as I didn't know what to do. I already HAVE the driver, and I looked on the ATI [video card manufacturer] web site for clues.

I blue screen that I am getting is not a BSOD, but the typical blue screen that appears in the process of installing windows! I do not have any SATA drives, but the way, I was just curious.

Johnb35,
I appreciate the link and the program, and the advice. So I ran the disk. Here are the results:
I booted a total of 6 times. 2 boots were made with the Memtest 4.0, which did not run.

So I selected option 2, Memtest 3.5, and the program ran.
"Unexpected Interrupt - Halting CPU0"
Errors: 0
Ecc Err: 0
Pass: 0
Pass 0%
Test 57%
Time = 01 sec

::100% of time same results #Boots: 4

Carrier Brendan,
If you are not a spammer I am sorry, please check your link.
Here are the results of your link:

carrier.brendan
http://www.sticky-language.com/gu.jpg
Amazon.com
http://www.sticky-language.com/
Your site has been opened! Please upload your content. FTP upload content to the web directory. The original location of this file is in c: \ windows \ 7i24.com \ freehost \ index.htm, you can modify this file to your own content.

Either wrong link or this person is a spammer!!!

Captain Kirk

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You've got some sort of hardware issue, whether it be cpu, motherboard, etc. Not really sure. I would take it in to a local computer repair shop and have them diagnose it.

Johnb35,
Thanks for the post.

I am going to replace the RAM and see if that helps.
I just got more RAM for an upgrade, but it does not fit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

I don't understand what is going on, I matched up everything else correctly.
200 pins, DDR, memory size appropriate to specifications, ~MHz

In the RAM sticks, you know how there is a slot in the center on the pin side?
------------| |------------------
|...............| |........................|
---------------------------------

I measured the distance to the slot. The slot is 1 1/8" from the closest end.
The RAM that I got is 5/8" from the closest end.

What went wrong with how I picked out the RAM hardware?
How do you know which is the RIGHT RAM to get?
Captain Kirk

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You most likely bought DDR2 or DDR3 memory instead of DDR. The label on the memory stick will tell you.

I found out it is the wrong ram.
I have 144 pin

I am running a C600 Dell Latitude, but thought that I was running a D600 Dell Latitude instead