XP won't boot from cd

RayLight

Hi, everyone, I'm having a problem with windows XP, so I need to repair it. But for some reason, it won't boot from the XP cd. Any help suggestion?

RayLight

how exactly do you do that? i've been trying to change the masters so it would boot from the cd first, but i dont know how :p

jaipandya

it's very simple
when u switch on ur computer ust press 'delete' key. the setup screen will appear. then enter BIOS and then change the 'primery boot device' to CD-ROM. Save ur bios.

ur computer will restarted just insert the windows xp Cd in the CD drive and do as the computer says:

RayLight

well, if you mean i have to go set up menu, i went there. but somehow there's no place to change the booting device. i entered the primary master menu, and it only shows the info of it, and i cant change it. :confused:

jaipandya

I tell u how I do this thing:

when computer starts just press 'del' key. CMOS setup utility appears. there i enter into 'advanced bios features'. there i can c 'first boot device'. i just have to move cursor there and hit 'enter' key then it gives me many option like...........floppy, hrd1.....,cd-rom. i enter cd-rom.

may be ur using a different setup. i u can see some primary master, or first boot device u just press enter there and it'll give options.

RayLight

tried pressing 'del' but nothing happens, it just starts up windows. i'm using a laptop, so is there a difference with the key?? and yes tried changing the masters, but it just keeps giving me some loud beep, and i can't do anything with it. or should i just send it to technician?? :confused:

Grimulus

RayLight said:
tried pressing 'del' but nothing happens, it just starts up windows. i'm using a laptop, so is there a difference with the key?? and yes tried changing the masters, but it just keeps giving me some loud beep, and i can't do anything with it. or should i just send it to technician?? :confused:

dont' send it to a tech.

'delete' isn't always the key that goes into BIOS. when the screen boots look around for "press (intsert key) to enter BIOS." or something like that. I think the laptop I am on right now is F2. It might be something different from that...just look around when it does all the ram checking and all that. :)

RayLight

yeah, if from F2, i can access the BIOS. but the masters still wont change though. i went to the 'advanced', and nothing in there seems to have something that says, 'first boot device'.

Grimulus

"boot sequence" "boot priority" that kinda thing...it's in there dude...it has to be.

look at every menu and sub menu, you'll run across it.

jaipandya

ya,
right said grimulus
and RayLight don't go to a tech. this is very simple and when u know how to do it, u'll also be thinking that! ;)

and it is must that there is any option like 'boot sequence'
'boot device priority' or like that. and find there would be something like hdd0 or hdd1 u have configured. just change it to cd-rom

RayLight

sorry to say, find find those -_-" either that or i'm dumb :p. anyways, i'm gonna give u wat i see in the BIOS menu, and maybe u guys can help me w/ it.

Main:
boot display: Auto
quick boot mode: Enabled
boot-time diagnostic screen: Disabled

Advanced:
Primary Master:
type: Auto
32 bit I/O: disabled
(same thing goes for the Secondary Master)

Boot:
CD-ROM Drive
Removable Devices
+Hard Drive
(nothing happens to any of it when i tried entering the menu)

jaipandya

as u written here it seems the first boot device is CD-ROM only and then removable devices and then hard drive.

what happens when u insert the windows xp setup disk in the drive and then start the computer.

it should say something like "to run the setup press any key......." does it do that?

RayLight said:
Boot:
CD-ROM Drive
Removable Devices
+Hard Drive
(nothing happens to any of it when i tried entering the menu)

how do u try to enter in this menu? u press enter? may be some other key.
just try to enter in this area : boot or changing the options.

RayLight

nothing happens when i chose the option to boot it from CD. either that, or it juz starts windows. oh, found more options though:

-Safe Mode
-Safe Mode with Networking
-Safe Mode with Command Prompt

-Enable Boot Logging
-VGA Mode
-Last Known Good Config
-Directory Services Restore Mode
-Debugging Mode

-Start Windows Normally
-Reboot
-Return to OS Choices Menu

is there anyways i can boot the CD from any of these options??

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
is there anyways I can boot the CD from any of these options??
All your settings are fine -- is this a legit copy of the OS? (i.e., is the CD bootable)