XPS 210 Upgrading

mosby

Hi,

I'm currently looking to upgrade my XPS 210, and I was curious on the following things:

-Graphics Card, will I need a half-height one? The case to a 210 is relatively small, and I was thinking I might need one. Also, it is PCI Express, those can be bought at any local computer/electronics store not right off dell, right?

-RAM, I was looking to get around 2-4GB of more RAM. Will I be able to put as much as 4 GB in?

I'm not that handy with computers myself, but what would be the best suggestion for having these things installed. A local technician, or the geek squad or something of the sort.

Thanks a lot for you help.

bomberboysk

Hi,

I'm currently looking to upgrade my XPS 210, and I was curious on the following things:

-Graphics Card, will I need a half-height one? The case to a 210 is relatively small, and I was thinking I might need one. Also, it is PCI Express, those can be bought at any local computer/electronics store not right off dell, right?

-RAM, I was looking to get around 2-4GB of more RAM. Will I be able to put as much as 4 GB in?

I'm not that handy with computers myself, but what would be the best suggestion for having these things installed. A local technician, or the geek squad or something of the sort.

Thanks a lot for you help.

Geek squad- absolutely not, most incompetent bunch of fools around.
With the XPS210, it has a pretty low power power supply,so your graphics card upgrade choices would be pretty limited. If i remember right, the 210 doesnt even have a standard atx size power supply and smaller power supplies are relatively rare. Its not that hard to install things yourself, there are lots of guides available here and elsewhere to help you out;) Problem is, if you want a few graphics card... you need half a new computer, because you would need a new case to fit the power supply, and then you would need a better power supply itself. Memory you could upgrade relatively easily, something like this would be a good upgrade:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220095

Cannot upgrade to 4GB as from what google is showing, your limited to a max of 2GB of 667Mhz DDR2.

mosby

Geek squad- absolutely not, most incompetent bunch of fools around.
With the XPS210, it has a pretty low power power supply,so your graphics card upgrade choices would be pretty limited. If i remember right, the 210 doesnt even have a standard atx size power supply and smaller power supplies are relatively rare. Its not that hard to install things yourself, there are lots of guides available here and elsewhere to help you out;) Problem is, if you want a few graphics card... you need half a new computer, because you would need a new case to fit the power supply, and then you would need a better power supply itself. Memory you could upgrade relatively easily, something like this would be a good upgrade:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220095

Cannot upgrade to 4GB as from what google is showing, your limited to a max of 2GB of 667Mhz DDR2.

Ah, thanks a lot. The whole building it myself idea would probably fail pretty quickly. Are there guides on the forums here, including pictures, etc? My biggest fear is totally destroying the whole thing! And as for a new case-would I also need a new motherboard?