XPS M170 for $600 - Yay or nay?

Chobbs

dellxpslaptop.jpg

To make a long story short.. or a short story shorter.. one of my dad's co-workers has a Dell XPS M170 laptop for sale and he's selling it for only $600. He purchased it in 10/2006 for over $2000 (I have a copy of the invoice he sent me) so this seems like a pretty good deal for a XPS laptop that is barely a year and a half old.

Here are the system specs:

* XPS M170 Notebook
* Intel Pentium M Processor 780 (2.26 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)
* 60 GB EIDE Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
* 2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)
* Bluetooth Wireless Card
* 9 Cell Primary Battery
* Genuine Windows XP Media Center 2005
* 256MB Nvidia GeForce 7800 Ultra
* 130W AC Adapter
* 8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
* 17 inch UltraSharp Wide Screen UXGA Notebook Screen
* 2915 Wireless Card

So what do you guys think? Should I pay $600 for this? Are there better deals out there for laptops of this caliber?

Thanks very much for any feedback!

daisymtc

Processor is slow and it is last generation.
However, 2 GB RAM with 7800 Ultra is quite good

Taking account it is a second hand ,and you probably can't upgrade it, try to make him sell for $500.

ETSA

I would pass. Old laptop with fairly outdated processor and fairly slow memory and tiny HD.

Jhow

it's not worth it. you can get a newer one for about the same price. small hard drive and a weak processor

Chobbs

it's not worth it. you can get a newer one for about the same price. small hard drive and a weak processor

Can you find me a link of a newer one for the same price and with the same video card or one that's at the same level? I want the best deal possible.

G25r8cer

Nope!! Any dell sucks, even if its the 420 h20 or w/e it is. Way overpriced and they are crap. You would be better off getting an Acer or something.

Chobbs

Nope!! Any dell sucks, even if its the 420 h20 or w/e it is. Way overpriced and they are crap. You would be better off getting an Acer or something.

Why are they crap? Do they break easy? Are they slow? Is it just because they're overpriced? Are they heavy? Do they overheat easily? Please, be more specific. I don't have much time left for this offer and I want to get all my ducks in a row before I make a true decision.

G25r8cer

Customer service is the worst! Most of the time the customer knows more than anyoe at dell. They throw there pc's together in 1hr (sarcastic). They put the worst possible stuff inside their pc's (hardware). They load their pc's with crap software! They break easy and are very slow!! Expect some very slow ram well, you will with every prebuilt pc but dells is the worst. If you go with dell absolutly do not upgrade anything on the pc through dell as they will rip you off big time on upgrade stuff. And if you buy it, buy it how it is now and dont buy say an extra gig of ram from them as they charge way too much. You still want a DELL???