Y 1st post. Intel i7 4970k and Gigabyte Z97X gaming 3

frldyz

Hi. This is my very 1st post.

I am building a PC right now. Well actually buying all the components, then building.

I just bought the Intel i7 4970k Crucial Ballistix 16gb DDR3 RAM. I also got the Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 mobo.

MY background and experience with PC's is minimal to none. I am replacing our home desktop PC. I could go buy 1 pre-built. But I want this challenge.

Our PC will only be used for the basics. Email, browsing, word documents, possibly some light gaming in the future. But most storing family pics, vids etc. I might like to get into some home video editing in the future.

Is this mobo good for my needs.

I would like to build the biggest and baddest PC I can.

The more bells and whistles it comes with but I don't have Im ok with.

I've been reading about bottlenecking.

Will this mobo hold me back from performance from my CPU?

Will it limit what I can add or do to my PC in the future?

FirstBuild

May I ask for a budget, sir? Your motherboard will rarely bottleneck your CPU nowadays, but your motherboard does look good for the future. Good RAM limit, 32 GB. It also has USB 3.0 headers for the front which is fantastic because it grants you ease of access for you to transfer family photos/videos at a higher transfer rate. All being right in the front! Gigabyte is one of the leading brands, so you chose wisely on that one. I'm taking a risk with MSI but I just can't pass the motherboard up.

But I digress, please provide a budget and we here at Computer Forum will try to set you up with the best parts list we can!

Cisco001

For what you are doing, I doubt if you need i7...

What else have you ordered?
What is the rest of the budget?

IMO, i5 4690K is better value as you only edit video occasionally.
And probably 120/ 250GB SSD for program & OS. whatever size of HDD for storage.
May be a budget GT730 GDDR5 for your light gaming.

Last edited:

frldyz

No budget.

I don't mind paying a lot more for getting a lot. Also pay more now then buy again soon.

I'd like it to have as many bells and whistles as possible. I do hope to get into the of buzz.

I have. I budget. I don't mind spending more for a decks t quality mono that has all extra bells and whistles if I need them. I do want to ru. 3 monitors at sometime. But I will more then likely just buy gpu

For what you are doing, I doubt if you need i7...

What else have you ordered?
What is the rest of the budget?

IMO, i5 4690K is better value as you only edit video occasionally.
And probably 120/ 250GB SSD for program & OS. whatever size of HDD for storage.
May be a budget GT730 GDDR5 for your light gaming.

Right now I got i7. Gigabyte z97x gaming 3. 2x8gb crucial ballistic sports ram

Last edited by a moderator: